Kelly Hager's Reviews > Drinking Closer to Home

Drinking Closer to Home by Jessica Anya Blau

Jan 11, 2011

Read from January 11 to 13, 2011

After Louise has a heart attack, her three grown children come home to see her in the hospital. Anna, the oldest, has always been a "problem child." Portia's husband has just left her and the youngest, Emery, also needs to convince one of his sisters to donate eggs so he and his partner can have a baby. The book grows back and forth in time, showing their childhoods as well as their adult lives.

The characters in this are universal. We all know these people, even if the characters in the book are probably smarter than their real-life counterparts.

I really enjoyed this book, even if (or possibly because) it's a hard book to describe. It's about family, which means it's sweet and sarcastic, happy and sad, infuriating and amazing. I love Jessica Anya Blau's books and this one is even better than the first (The Summer of Naked Swim Parties). I can't wait until book three comes out but, seeing as how book two was JUST released, odds are I have some time ahead of me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drinking Closer to Home.