MaggieReadsRom's Reviews > Sweet as Sin

Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley

Jan 10, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, carinapress, e-books, favorites-2011, netgalley

Rating: 10 out of 10 - PERFECT READ!

First line:
A splash of bloody red in the bleu sky fluttered like a shapeless bird before landing on his forearm. John plunked the box down and picked up the silky red bra.

Memorable Scenes:
- Kitchen scene at 4th of July get-together > hot
- Frosting scene at the Sugar Shack > beyond hot
- The scene with Emily at the Salvatori picnic > Go Livvy!
- Livvy’s “one-woman show” performance for John > scorching doesn’t even come close to describing it.

First off I want to apologize to Inez Kelley for this totally sucky review of an awesome book. I read this book months ago and immediately rated it 10 out of 10, a perfect read because of the huge emotional impact it had on me. However the impact didn’t translate into review notes because as I sat down to finally write this review, I discovered I had only 3 little paragraphs of notes about this book. How am I going to go on and on and on about this incredibly amazing book in my review with just 3 paragraphs of notes about 3 to 4 months after finishing the book. This is not how I roll, people…So sorry Inez, I wasn’t more prolific in taking notes of why SWEET AS SIN is such a brilliant book and the following review is all I can do to convince other readers to buy and read this compelling and touching masterpiece you created.

John Murphy is a YA author. He’s intense, has sarcastic wit and he’s provoking, but beneath all that is a caring, gentle, broken man. When I read the blurb and the beginning of this book I was apprehensive about his character and didn’t know if I was going to click with him. But somehow he crawled inside my head and I can honestly say it was difficult and emotional but I slowly but surely fell in love with this man Inez Kelley created. And it was in a way I really didn’t expect. It was trough the snippets of his book that he touched me the deepest and I never thought I’d ever say it but if this YA book was ever a reality I would definitely read it. There! I said it…and I am NOT a YA reader, absolutely not!

Livvy Andrews is a pastry chef and owner of the Sugar Shack. I adored Livvy from the very start. She is cautious, nurturing, caring and vivacious. A character you root for and wish to see get her HEA. The way she handled John and everything that came along with him was admirable and earned her a spot on my favorite heroine’s list.

The secondary characters were equally awesome as the main couple. They were there, picking up the pieces, offering a willing ear and creating fun moments. I wouldn’t have missed them all for the world, as they were just as important to the overall feel of this book as John and Livvy were.

I shouldn't be surprised that once again I'm in awe of Inez Kelley's powerful writing. She creates magic with words and sentences. The magic she creates with words never ceases to amaze me and I’ve only read her (erotic) contemporary romances. Her words create the perfect mix of heat, humor and emotion. Smiles, tears and hot flashes alternated while reading SWEET AS SIN, each one trying to get to the forefront and trying to claim me.

I suspect now that whenever I hear the phrase “ How hungry are you?” in the near future I’ll think back to this book and that scene. The scene was pivotal, sizzling hot and mesmerizing. Thinking back, I get tingly all over again.

Thank you Ms Kelley! Thank you for this wonderful book that broke my heart and almost left me speechless. My heart broke for John and for Livvy. The amount of tissues I needed to get through this book was daunting. When I reached the last page I was emotionally drained, my eyes were red and swollen from the tears running down my face but most of all, my romantic heart was whole again, happy and satisfied.

Favorite Quotes:
Her treacherous body responded to his scrutiny with a whorish force. Pure animalistic lust flared, and she fought the primal urge to preen for him. Arrogant sexy bastard.

She was too mouthwatering to be ravished. He wanted to savor her spice until it burned him, let her sweetness flood his bitter soul until his teeth ached with it.

“You, I want your sugar, Livvy, melting on my tongue.”
Erotic, naughty and exactly the right ones to say, his words painted a picture that plunged her body into shivers of anticipation.

John was all the seven deadly sins personified. LUST blazed most forcefully, carving his features with demonic beauty. PRIDE bowed his mouth as he watched her tongue skate across her bottom lip. Only GLUTTONY could describe the hunger in the gaze raking over her body. SLOTH slowed his movements tormenting her with his absolute control, but WRATH battled in his expression, urging him to possess her. Rapturous GREED heated his skin and he took her mouth in primitive passion. His tongue darted into her mouth and ENVY coveted her very breath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet as Sin.

January 10, 2011 – Shelved
January 12, 2011 – Started Reading
January 13, 2011 –
January 24, 2011 –
January 25, 2011 –
100.0% "Once again @Inez_Kelley has blown me away...In awe of her writing skills!"
January 25, 2011 – Finished Reading