Diane's Reviews > Our Souls at Night

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Sep 22, 2015

bookshelves: audio-books-read, top-picks-2015

I loved this audiobook narrated by Mark Bramhall. The story left me feeling a bit sad, and with a thought that I often ask myself these days -- "Why can't people just live and let live?"

The story is a pretty simple one and involves two seniors in their 70's. Addie Moore and Louis Walters are neighbors. They have both lost their spouses and live alone in the small town of Holt, Colorado. One day Addie pays Louis a visit, she's lonely with no one to talk to. Her son and grandson live several hours away as does Louis' daughter.

Addie makes a surprising request after asking whether Louis ever feels lonely. She asks him whether her might consider spending the night with her. She's looking just for companionship and for a warm body next to her on those cold, lonely nights. Louis accepts her offer, and one night grows into two and then something more. Each reveals very personal moments from their past as their fondness for one another grows.

Their relationship is problematic: town folks gossip, adult children express opposition and despite pretending not to care what others say, avoiding the subject is easier said than done.

I loved this short bittersweet story. The writing is beautiful and thought provoking and I felt sad that this will be the last book I'll ever see from this talented author, who passed away in 2014 at the age of 71. The story is a mostly hopeful story of friendship, love and understanding between seniors who had all but lost the human contact they once had enjoyed. I think this book will mostly appeal to readers in the 50+ age range or to readers who have lost a spouse.

One quote in particular resonated with me -- "Who does ever get what they want? It doesn't seem to happen to many of us if any at all. It's always two people bumping against each other blindly, acting out old ideas and dreams and mistaken understandings."

5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Souls at Night.