Deek Rhew's Reviews > The Fulfillment

The Fulfillment by Erin Rhew

bookshelves: to-read

I had the privilege of receiving an ARC of The Fulfillment. This book begins, literally, where The Outlanders left off. Might I say that The Outlanders left us with a cliffhanger that made me try and rip apart the back cover, searching for the next page? Alas, none were to be found. :-( Fortunately, we pick up with Layla, Wil, Nash, Samson, Mia, Vespa, and Grant right were Ms. Rhew left us. (Did I mention that we were left hanging? Not that I'm bitter or anything.) From page one, The Fulfillment presses on the accelerator and doesn't let up. We find out answers to our long-awaited questions (it's been a year, people!), but also opens up a slew of new ones.

Scattered all over the three kingdoms, our heroes are thrust into impossible-to-win situations. They continue to battle a rogue Outlander queen, an usurper king hell-bent on destroying a peaceful nation, Elder Werrick and his secret accomplice, all while struggling to solve the mystery of an ancient prophecy.

Where to start? Where to start?

I totally dig villains so we'll begin with the queen. Just when we thought she couldn't get any worse—do you remember what she did to Nash in The Outlanders? Well, it turns out she managed to outdo herself. Amazingly she gets even more sinister, even more vile, as she destroys people in her lust for power. While in captivity, Nash discovers her secrets—and her weakness. He's willing to do the unthinkable to exploit this weakness in an attempt to take her down. But his plan to sacrifice himself is beyond risky and has far-reaching consequences that he couldn't have foreseen even if the First Ones had blessed him with the ability to time travel.

Elder Werrick is back and as bad as ever, but now we discover that he has a secret accomplice. What the what? Yep, he's teamed up with a baddy you won't have predicted. It seems like everytime our peeps catch a break, Werrick is there to throw sand in their potato salad and march ants through their picnic.

Vance. This kid seriously needs to get grounded from his Wii. He's decided that his purpose in life is to blot the Ethereal people from the map. Like Werrick, he too has an unlikely ally, but he's also got the power of the Vanguard army behind him. Every time he showed up, I wished someone would put a sword through him the way he did through Wil in The Prophecy.

And, of course, Mia. She showed up at the end of The Prophecy claiming to be the true Fulfillment. What, exactly, is this chick up to? Well, we finally find out her real story. But there is a TON more to Mia that meets the eye. Is she a hero, a villain, or just a pawn to the real game master's plan?

So my peeps are dealing with all of this, which you'd think would be enough to keep anyone preoccupied, but there's more. Layla and Nash, Layla and Wil, Wil and Mia, Mia and Samson, plus a host of family connections you don't see coming. Oh, and a new family member... like, a VERY new member!

Ms. Rhew intricately weaves all of this together in a beautifully told tale of love, loss, heartache, and victory. Kingdoms and peace are in the balance as battles are waged and an ancient prophecy comes to fruition!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fulfillment.

September 22, 2015 – Shelved