Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Drink Deep

Drink Deep by Chloe Neill

Jan 10, 2011

bookshelves: genre-urban-fantasy, witches-shaman-magic, werewolves-shifters, vampires, books-read-2011, fae, own-signed
Read from October 16 to 18, 2011

This review was posted at Under The Covers

First off let me give you a warning: if you haven't read Hard Bitten (book 4) then you might want to skip my review until you've gotten to that point in the series. I can't fully state my complains about certain things in this book without giving away a major spoiler for the previous book.

So after a very traumatic ending for most of us readers, yes a lot of tears were shed, and a long wait to find out what happens next to see how Ms. Neill will solve this dilemma, I couldn't have been more excited to get my hands on Drink Deep two weeks early.

This book has a very end-of-the-world feel. The lakes and rivers are turning black, the sky is turning red and the city of Chicago is freaking out and blaming the vampires!

Merit is still grieving after the death of Ethan, but she's been assigned to finding out what's causing these phenomena and to fix them before the humans will cause bigger problems for the vampires. Cadogan House is still under investigation by the council and their new rules are causing havok with the house vampires. And we get to meet a lot more supernatural creatures!

This is also a book of BIG CHANGES. The dynamics of the series as we know it will change in my opinion. So many things were turned upside down and inside out! Most of them had interesting twists and effects and I'm excited to see where they will lead.

But I'll tell you what my biggest issue with this book is. Merit is grieving Ethan's death, yes. It's only been two months since he died. How is it that now that she's got Jonah as a partner, trying to solve the impending end of the world, she actually starts to maybe-sorta feel something like attraction for him or flirting? She sees that he's interested! She should've put her foot down and stop that right away. I was not a fan of that. Like Catcher says, respect his memory. And this has me scared for what's to come, on a personal level.

And does Ethan come back? Wouldn't you like to know! You have to read to find out, I'm not giving anything away!

The other issue I had was the pace of the book, it felt a bit slow at the beginning, and it really got good towards the end, so much that it had me glued to the pages (and up until late in the morning).

I did cry, again, as I've started to expect towards the end of these books. But this time, it was not in the way I expected. I was utterly shocked with how things turned out in the end, and I can't help but be sad for all involved.

At least we don't get much of a cliffhanger ending. Just a bit. So I am anxiously awaiting the release of Biting Cold to embark on a new journey with Merit. Just remember, things are not what they seem, and people are not who you think!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink Deep.

Quotes Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Liked

Chloe Neill
“You’re thinking about him naked, aren’t you?”

“Unfortunately.”

She patted my arm. “And to think—I was actually hesitant about dating him. Oh, and speaking of which. Chaps. Enough said.”
Chloe Neill, Drink Deep

Chloe Neill
“I have been given a third chance at life, even if the circumstances are somewhat disconcerting. You are mine, and we both know it.”
Chloe Neill, Drink Deep

10/16/2011 page 1
0.0% "Everything else is going on hold.... gotta read this NOW!" 5 comments
10/17/2011
33.0% 3 comments
53.0% 8 comments
10/18/2011
55.0% "No.Freaking.Way! Argggghhhh What did Catcher tell you?????"
10/18/2011
61.0% ""I made my choice. I chose you.""
90.0% "*CRYING*" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kristie Lucky you:D

Roberta Oh i really want to know what context that was in! Ethan to Merit. Merit to Ethan....Actually i dont care so long as there is Ethan! haha

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) hehehe you'll find out in due time! ;)

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen So what did you think? I am thinking about 3 stars for me.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) It picked up a bit in the last 25%, I liked the plot ok, it was a bit slow,and even though I was happy with the ending I didn't like a couple of things (view spoiler)

message 4: by Jen (last edited Oct 19, 2011 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (view spoiler)

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) (view spoiler)

message 2: by Jen (last edited Oct 19, 2011 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (view spoiler)

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) (view spoiler)