Steven Cole's Reviews > The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Jan 10, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2007-locus-recommended
Read from January 10 to February 02, 2011

The Yiddish Policemen's Union won the 2007 Nebula Award for Best Science Fiction Novel of the year, and the 2008 Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel of the year.

What a load of rubbish.

The only bit of this novel which might even remotely be considered SF is the fact that it's set in an alternate history where the state of Israel was a failed experiment, and many (most?) refugee Jews wound up in a settlement in Sitka, Alaska.

Now, I picked the novel up precisely *because* it won SF awards, and my disgust at how far from SF this novel is really flavored my reading of the novel.

So this is a noir-esque murder mystery novel, with a down-on-his-luck detective investigating a killing that took place in the residential hotel where he lives. He and his supporting cast are somewhat enjoyable, and the setting actually is pretty neat. The politics against which everything plays out are also interesting.

There may be a lot of this novel that I don't "get," seeing as I've got no Jewish anything in my background, also.

This is a rambling review. The book was almost enjoyable. 2.5 of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

04/11/2016 marked as: read