Dimity Powell's Reviews > Australian Kids Through the Years

Australian Kids Through the Years by Tania McCartney

Sep 22, 2015

bookshelves: kids-lit, non-fiction

1.) I had the slightest inkling I might like this one. (Andrew Joyner's cover illustrations smacked of Little Golden Book charm)

2.) I had no idea how this concept would be handled. I mean, who apart from me reads LGBs anymore? (But then, Tania McCartney works so well at adapting history into meaningful media for kids)

3.)I had a niggling concern that the target audience (5 - 8) might suffer some disconnection with the past, it being so far away from yesterday for them and their collected reference frames.

The result after reading this picture book: RIGHT, Wow, WRONG! Miss 9 and I simply adored every page, every era, every word, and every image (yes, even the 80s) of this unreal expose of kids' lives from the very first inhabitants to present day. What they ate, wore, played and even read is faithfully recounted in kid-friendly pictures and bubble boxes. There's a real personal intimacy with the kids from each time period created by McCartney's short and sweet vignettes so joyfully illustrated by Joyner. So much more than a catalog of that-was-then facts, Australian Kids Through the Years brings hysterically accurate information right back into our lives (hysterical because I still own a Walkman) and is absolutely brilliant to share with today's Z Generation. My Miss Z reveled in the revelations. (Yes, Mummy really did love her dragster bike). A must for homes and schools, and late-20th Century tragics like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Australian Kids Through the Years.

Finished Reading