C.G. Drews's Reviews > RoseBlood

RoseBlood by A.G. Howard

bookshelves: read-2017, retelling, young-adult, paranormal

So this was CREEPY YET AWESOME. Which is just how I like my books, thank you, with a sidedish of psychotic Phantoms and perhaps some cake. #lovely And I'll have you know I was absolutely obsessed with the Phantom of the Opera in my wayward youth. (Erm, like, 5 years ago.) I watched the movie (with Gerard Butler) about 1000 MILLION TIMES and I had all the music to learn on the piano and I knew all the songs and I WAS BASICALLY GOING TO BE THE PHANTOM WHEN I GREW UP. Minus, possibly, the psycho murdering part. Ahem. So I had really high expectations going into Roseblood...and they were mostly met! Also this author is like my favourite and her Splintered series is basically everything. <3

It is emphatically a Phantom of the Opera retelling but with a bit of a "sequel" vibe. It's set in the modern day AND IT'S IN PARIS (yas) and follows this girl named Rune who has an Obsessive Operatic Singing Disorder. Like she literally busts out in song and can't help it. Really powerful magical singing. And she ends up being sent to a boarding school SET INSIDE AN OLD OPERA HOUSE and if that's not the most aesthetically pleasing thing you ever heard, I don't know what is.

Also please: might I have my wayward youth back so I can go to a boarding school in an opera house? #actualgoals

It's actually dual POV! We have Rune's view, but alsooooo we have THE SON OF THE PHANTOM. Well, adopted son of the Phantom. I mean, yes, he lives forever (#magicalPhantom) and yes he adopted a smol son and this is basically my favourite part of the book ever. And excuse you Rune, but Thorn stole the spotlight every time he had a chapter!! He was totally tragic and adorable and a manic violin wizard and he wore a mask and basically was THE SMOL APPRENTICE PHANTOM and be still my beating heart.

I did still like Rune! But I didn't really connect to her??? I'm sure that's just a "CAIT IS WEIRD AND PREFERS THE PSYCHO PHANTOM'S SON" thing and you should just probably ignore me.

Also so much music!! As it should be. Bless it. I love how Thorn was an amazing violinist and Rune was an amazing operatic singer and TOGETHER THEY WERE AMAZING. Although Thorn kind of played music inside Rune's head???? Because why not, probably. All the cool kids are using dreams for communication. Out of the way iPhone 6. We gotcha creepy brain possession.

Did I mention it's creepy?!?! NICELY CREEPY. There are plenty of bleeding roses and Phantoms staring at you behind mirrors and weird dreams and also WEIRD MAGICAL POWERS like accidentally sucking all the energy out of your BFF or having your music literally smash people to the ground because it's so gloriously. (OH DARN. WHY WAS MY MUSICAL SKILL NEVER LIKE THAT. I mean, I levelled buildings....because I was so bad.) I also liked how Rune was aware of the creeptasticness and wasn't going around whining like if she followed the trail of bloodied roses nothing would go wrong. HA. She knew! She kept telling herself she was accidentally in a horr movie. Very meta. Very nice.

There are also monsters!! So much monster love!! It reminded me a little bit of This Savage Song with the violinist monsters. Although I'm lowkey disappointed that the (view spoiler)

The writing is SO BEAUTIFUL TOO. Although I confess I did think it was too much at times. Like the description was so vivd and gorgeous and sensory...but it often over took the actual plot? There is not a lot of fast-paced plot. Which is fine! It's just not a fast-paced story. But I would've liked to see more HAPPENING than just having so much description + people telling their backstories. (I would've liked to BE IN the backstories not tell tell tell. That was often tedious.)

And the Phantom was DELIGHTFULLY MORALLY GREY. Like is he a villain??? Is he a genius??? Is he out for evil or good??? ALL THE QUESTIONS. LOVE.

And FYI Thorn + Rune = Tune. And they play music together. What insufferable little ADORABLE GRAPES. I love it.

Although I'm absolutely devastated that it's a standalone?!?? I need more of #Tune??? I need more Phantom. I need more of the adorable romance??? I need more of the music??! And that ending was AMAZING AND EMOTIONAL AND I LOVED IT. You're not freaking out over what the phantom's psychotic tendencies will lead to when he realises he's musical protégé (Rune) has fallen in love with his adopted son he's keeping stashed under an opera house with himself (Thorn). BLESS.

Definitely an amazingly beautiful story! It lacked in the action department, but made up for it with the amazingness that is THE PHANTOM and his SMOL PHANTOM SON. Also that cover, amirite? Gorgeousness.

And if you think I'm not typing this up while mentally belting out THE PHAAAAAAANTOM OF THE OPERA IS HEEEERE then you have another thing coming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read RoseBlood.

September 21, 2015 – Shelved
September 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 31, 2016 – Started Reading
December 31, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "IT WOULD BE A COMPLETE LIE TO SAY I AM NOT SINGING PHANTOM OF THE OPERA RATHER LOUDLY RIGHT NOW.\n\ndescription"
January 1, 2017 –
page 124
28.7% "There is a cute ghost-like boy living under the opera house who plays the violin and talks to a cat.\nAM I IN LOVE?\nMAYBE."
January 1, 2017 –
page 209
48.38% "So the phantom has adopted his own SMOL SON whom he is raising to be an agoraphobic, traumatised, musical genius with dubious social skills. SO MUCH LOVELY."
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: retelling
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: paranormal
January 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms I have this on my wishlist... I'm glad it was creepy and awesome, Cait!!

message 2: by Zara (new) - added it

Zara Hoffman I'm so freaking jealous that you got to read this early. Now I'm like ∞-times more excited to read this book!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna This. Sounds. So. Cool.

Alex (PaperbackPiano) I am even more excited for this after your review! I'm a huge Phantom fan!!! I may need to fangirl with you once I've read this...

C.G. Drews @Lexxie: Yayyy I hope you love it too!!

@Zara: Only a week to go! :)

@Jessica: IT IS.

@Alex: MUTUAL PHAN HI FIVE. :D

Sarah Amelia I adore Phantom so I can't wait to read this!

message 7: by B. (new) - rated it 1 star

B. aaaah I can't wait to read this! I've been 500% obsessed with the Phantom of the Opera since I was a wee little muffin

Esther YAY FINALLYYY this review though. I LOVE TUNE OMG SO CLEVERRRRRR. This book was definitely something ELSE but also VERY AMAZING AND I NEED MORE OF TUNE AND I CAN'T STOP USING CAPS BECAUSE I AM IN LOOOOOOVE

Alex (PaperbackPiano) Omg PHAN!! How have I never come up with that before?! I feel like I have let the side down lol

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @C: LET US BOTH CONTINUE IN ALL CAPS TOGETHER FOREVER. *FLAILS*

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Alex: isn't it brilliant?! I think I saw it on pinterest. XD #PhanFTW

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna Pontin I started this one and got about seventy pages in before giving it up. Should I give it another shot?

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Anna: I mean, I loved it! But not every book is for everyone, so if 70 pages didn't catch you then maybe it's just not for you? :P Which is totally fine! I hope you find another excellent read for you soon!