Jeff Miller's Reviews > Tooth and Claw

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

Jan 10, 2011

Read from January 10 to 14, 2011

I picked this book up since it was on sale for $2.99 as an ebook and the plot of a Victorian age novel with all characters as Dragons intrigued me.

Often a great idea does not meet the execution of it. Not so in this case. A thoroughly enjoyable novel that takes the idea of a Victorian romance with Dragons and, ahem, flies with it. The added ideas of Dragons growing by eating their dead kin and a unique Bridal brush really sells the plot and gives it such dimension. The class consciousness of these dragons and their titles reflect the Victorian age perfectly. The characters are full and you have proper villains, heroes, and heroines. Just simply a fun novel.

The religious undertones were also interesting with a seeming reference of the old religion being comparable to Rescusant Catholics.

On am ironic side note the next book I am reading is from Michael O'Brien who once wrote a book with the thesis that Dragons can only be inherently evil characters. He is wrong on that score, but I do love all his novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tooth and Claw.

message 1: by Brent (new) - added it

Brent Picked it up too. Thanks for the tip!

John Just added it to my "to read" list.