LORI CASWELL's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

bookshelves: read-2015

Dollycas’s Thoughts

I am in awe of Delaney Nichols. She answers an unusual ad and within days is leaving Kansas behind and is off to Edinburgh, Scotland and The Cracked Spine. The Cracked Spine is an “humble book and rare manuscript shop”. Truly though it is an amazing place full of nooks, secret spaces, library ladders and books, so many wonderful books.

Edwin MacAlister owns the place and the man responsible for hiring “Delaney from Kansas in America”. He also employs young Hamlet, an aspiring actor with a troubled past, and Rosie, who takes her little dog everywhere she goes. We also meet Elias, the taxi driver, who picked up Delaney at the airport. He introduces her to his wife and they all quickly become friends. We also met Tom, a handsome bartender at a local pub.

Before Edwin can even share all the plans he has for Delaney in her new position tragedy strikes. His sister, Jenny, is murdered and a previously undiscovered First Folio of Shakespeare’s Plays disappears. With a little help from her new friends Delaney finds herself traveling all over the city tracking down clues trying to find the folio and a killer. This is definitely something Delaney can’t write home about or she may be back in Kansas faster than she can click her heels together.

I knew Paige Shelton was a fantastic storyteller from her Farmer’s Market Mysteries and Country Cooking School Mysteries so it is no surprise that I love, love, love, this story. Complete with the Scottish accents, words, and phrases these characters come alive in these pages. She also paints a clear picture of The Cracked Spine itself and the beautiful city with its castles, alleyway and stores and shops. I was laughing out loud as she fought to get used to the traffic and the cars “on-the-other-side-of-the-road thing”.

The missing folio and the murder may or may not connected so the suspects were very widespread. Could she have been killed by someone she knew? Someone who had nothing to with The Cracked Spine? Or was it a collector that would do anything to obtain Shakespeare’s plays?

Through Shelton’s writing I was able to completely escape to Scotland right along with Delaney and all the new people she meets. Delaney is a strong woman ready for an adventure and I am delighted to accompany her on her journey. What a impressive debut for this series! This story is a pure treasure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

September 20, 2015 – Started Reading