Philip's Reviews > How To Be Great At Doing Good: Why Results Are What Count and How Smart Charity Can Change the World

How To Be Great At Doing Good by Nick Cooney

19240288

it was ok

Read Doing Good Better or The Most Good You Can Do instead, this book really does not compare favorably. Even though it is shorter than both MacAskill and Singer's books, the content still doesn't quite fill out the pages, with annoying repetition both of phrases from previous paragraphs and verbose summaries of points made in earlier chapters.

The preface tells the story of Schindler's regret of not having saved more jews from the Nazis, that "I could have got more out." The "get more out" quote is repeated throughout the book and gets very tiring. It's often not a very fitting analogy for giving to charities, and I find that Singer's hypothetical drowning child scenario is far more useful.

Finally, it's as if Cooney spends all of his effort trying to convince the reader to give, and doesn't spend enough time on the practical issues once you have been convinced. I think that MacAskill excels in this area, and that's the book I would primarily recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How To Be Great At Doing Good.

September 20, 2015 – Started Reading