EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)'s Reviews > Ravished

Ravished by Ayden K. Morgen

Sep 20, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: arc-or-request, erotica, abuse, drama, thriller

erotica

This book makes it pretty clear that it's all about the sexual tension - excuse me - frustration and sexy scenes, and I wouldn't have mind at all. Problem is, the supporting DEA story is incredibly weak and for my taste too unrealistic. It could have been brilliant.

Starting into this book I was initially confused about the prologue - since the man introduced as utter threat never makes a direct appearance again. It probably would have been better to leave out the prologue at all and leave the imagination of the Vetrov's vicious executioner a mystery.

However, I loved the writing stile, the usage of metaphors, the poetic phrasing... beautiful. If it wasn't for the fact that eventually I never got the chance to conclude the feelings of the characters for myself, in the end it was but into cold words how the characters felt. The problem is, all that I could fathom about Lilian and Tristan was the absolute invincible physical attraction they had for another. But ... I didn't care for them. I still don't. Our lead characters are emotionally childish. Sure, they are both tormented souls and have their cruel cross to bear but when it came to how they saw each other, it was more than frustrating, because they never gave themselves the benefit of a doubt. And the world they both live in - the harsh, disciplined world of ballet and the cruel world of drugs - are absolutely no excuse because naturally the would have grown up faster into harder, more rational persons, which both aren't. They have characters of teenagers, which is absolutely unrealistic and oh, so frustrating.

But, oh, the sex scenes. Everything leading up to the eventual sex was so worth reading, but the sex itself was leaving me rather hanging dry in comparison. Plus, the term "lapping" was used far too much for me. it's not sensual for me at all.
Again, the interaction between the characters when their attraction ignites to wildfire was a feast for my eyes and mind and that's the only reason this book gets three stars.

As to the supporting story: I already said it's weak and unrealistic, plus it's going in circles, the whole time. The apparent threat doesn't feel real which makes the worry and fear of the characters somewhat incredible. Plus, in a scene Lilian is obviously absolutely scared of a person, but then not only offers but almost demands to walk u to the same person, in order to help. Really?

I think the problem of this book is, that the storyline is dragged out. There were so many chances in the last quarter to just stop the story. I would have been interested into how things continue much more than I am now. It's all about the stupidity of our lovebirds as in: not trusting each other, doubting the feelings of the other person, doubting themselves, fighting their feelings, being surprised/terrified of their feelings for each other, telling themselves that it's only attraction, and so on. *sigh*
At least the book stayed true to it's title.

Although I am interested in how the story continues, it would have landed at the bottom of my to-read-list. However, I was generously offered the sequel as an ARC, too. So I will read the sequel soon. Hopefully it's less frustrating.

P.S. If it wasn't for the last quarter of this story, that was terribly dragging, I probably would have given it 3.5 stars rounded up. But I wanted to throw my kindle through the window. So, there's that.

three star rating

ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravished.

September 20, 2015 – Shelved
September 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2015 – Shelved as: arc-or-request
September 28, 2015 –
September 29, 2015 –
October 27, 2015 –
0.0% "I'm starting this anew because the previous book to me too long."
October 28, 2015 –
9.0% "I was looking forward to another hot scene and all I get is a summary... I'm not sure what I should think of this."
November 2, 2015 –
10.0% "I feel bad for putting this out there but the word you are searching for is CLIT. If I hear "center" one more, I'll have to search around for my eyes, because they fell out of their sockets. It's ruining the steamy hot scene for me here..."
November 2, 2015 –
13.0% "Here comes the drama. Can't say I've missed you"
November 2, 2015 –
20.0% "I'm not sure what to think of the storyline right now, regardless I'm slightly intrigued."
November 3, 2015 –
23.0% "Tristan is a fucking moron. There, I said it."
November 4, 2015 –
29.0% "I do enjoy the use of metaphors and the style to describe feelings. What I don't enjoy is actions in the present and past which only purpose is to support the plot.\n SPOILERS: if her Dad was a cop and is now Mayor, how the hell did he not check his daughter's house and made sure she wouldn't move in across the street of drug infected club? How was Tristan even accepted as an agent when he is compulsively impulsive?"
November 4, 2015 –
36.0% "Now the story is starting to get really interesting. Bummer that we got here way too stumbling as I expected. But I'm daring to get my hopes up!"
November 6, 2015 –
52.0% "Who doesn't love dirty talk? What I don't love is dirty talk monologues when the character's mind should be out of order due to arousal. I never met a guy who was able to utter endlessly long sentences while horny as hell. Good thing, because it would annoy the hell out of me."
November 8, 2015 –
57.0% "I'm wondering how more circles we are going to run here. It's starts to bore me. I want the real danger now please"
November 9, 2015 –
59.0% "From feminist to TSTL... awesome"
November 14, 2015 –
63.0% "I don't understand the need to use italic to emphasise something. Especially when the wording already supports me to read the phrase like that anyway. Sadly the describtion of this sex scene is too, idk, superficial? Cursory?"
November 15, 2015 –
65.0% "I know how it's written is supposed to show that it's frantic and needy, but I wish this sex scene would have been described just as the scene that followed it. Beautifully emotional. *sigh*"
November 30, 2015 –
December 2, 2015 –
77.0% "I do enjoy these sexy scenes, but why has everyone compare female juices to honey? BUT if I read "lapping" one more time, this book won't go over four stars. Is he human or a dog?"
December 7, 2015 –
85.0% "They had sex several times and NOW she's abashed that he's the first since two years? Where's the logic?"
December 7, 2015 –
92.0% "I can't help it but this book has started to annoy me"
Started Reading
December 9, 2015 –
97.0% "being relieved that a story is over is never a good sign"
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: erotica