Britta Böhler's Reviews > Satin Island

Satin Island by Tom McCarthy

bookshelves: fiction

Re-reading this book right after having finished A Brief History of Seven Killings, it made me realize - even more than the first time 'round - how much Satin Island is the anti-novel, anti-realism and anti-plot.

The main character, called U, (You, the reader? A reference to Ulysses?) is an anthropologist working for The Company and his main project is to write the ultimate book about our time and age.

As I said before, Satin Island is not about plot. If you enjoy books mainly because of the story, the twists and turns of the plot, this isn't the book for you. This novel is a Tower of Babel, a collage of thoughts, like the scraps of notes U is collecting. It's full of hints and references, and lots of them.

Satin Island is a brilliant account of our time, detached and fragmented and repetitive. Always buffering, waiting for reality to reveal itself. The book shows the constant bombardement with information, superficial, fleeting, just scratching the surface but with no deeper meaning. Just like us, U is trying to make sense of this world, he desperately wants to connect the dots and turn the arbitrary flow of information into something you could call knowledge, where it all makes sense and where the whole is more than just the sum of its parts. And it more than touches on big themes like faith and dying, and not least of all: The Future.

Satin Island, in short, makes you think. And think again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Satin Island.

September 20, 2015 – Started Reading
September 20, 2015 – Shelved
September 20, 2015 –
page 17
8.85% "Started to re-read Satin Island, trying to figure out why some people hate it so much"
September 21, 2015 –
page 53
27.6% "Ah, the art and variety of creases (in jeans), Levi Strauss and Levi's, made of serge de Nîmes, aka denim..."
September 23, 2015 –