Kirsti's Reviews > Save Me

Save Me by Jenny Elliott

did not like it

This was beyond awful. Probably one of the worst books I've ever read. I know I really shouldn't have expected a self assured, quick thinking, spunky heroine with the title 'Save Me', but really? Cara is one of the worst female characters I've ever read. I can go on and on about how bad I found this book, but I'll just leave some of my not so favorite quotes here.

'As she examined him more closely, she saw that he was flawless. Loose, sandy-blond curls brushed his jaw line, his nose and cheek-bones were magazine-ad worthy, and he had a perfectly proportioned mouth.'

'Back then, Cara learned from the 'It' girls that, rather than the buxom beauty Cara saw, a lot of guys saw Rachel as a big-boned girl with a big mouth. But Cara had faith that the right guy would come to appreciate Rachel's unique appeal. Someone who would take the time to get to know and love her exuberant spirit.'

These quotes all come from the beginning of the book, the story being that Cara is a highly experienced whale watcher who falls overboard and must be rescued by David, an older, mysterious guy who is also her 21-year-old student teacher. Their forbidden romance is due to an undeniable connection, one that defies law and reason to continue, and one the author obviously believes the reader should root for. Cara herself says that no one else in her life has ever really attracted her, and that she has only dated one guy (she broke up with him when he wanted sex, but she wasn't ready. She's ready with David, but he refuses to maintain his pristine image)

There's a heap of negative images of 'goth' kids, Cara doing nothing, Cara playing scrabble, Cara thinking about David. There is also another insanely good looking blow in, but it's all good, they're just friends because Cara doesn't allow herself to be attracted to anyone!

Add to this the beyond awful writing (I think I've read better from High School students) this book pretty much has nothing to recommend it. It has been a long time since I've read something so truly awful, so much so that I actually laughed at it. I finished it because it was almost unbelievably terrible. If you'd like a laugh also, then maybe I can recommend it after all. Run for the hills!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me.

September 20, 2015 – Started Reading
September 20, 2015 – Shelved
September 20, 2015 –
page 15
4.85% "Oh god. 15 pages and two ridiculous quotes already! 'When he met her gaze, she was struck by the color of his eyes, which reminded her of mixed shades of green from area forests' and a new favorite quote 'But just thinking of the transient killer whales caused a cold, dark feeling to creep into her soul'. OMG, tears."
September 23, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Sydney You just opened a can of wormmmsssss! I was mad when I read that big boned thing about Rachel and how cara just thought that only one boy would "finally" come along for her, but then I got over it and didn't mention it in my review but not I remember how annoyed I was at cara and the author who made her say those things. Those things made me wish that if I had bought it book I could get my money back and not give these insensitive authors my money

Sydney That's full of typos to the point that it doesn't make sense , I apologize

Kirsti Haha all good, some books make you blow up with emotion and spelling goes out the window. ^_^