IJM's Reviews > The Rowan

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, audiobooks, fantasy

** spoiler alert ** This book left me frustrated. On the one hand, you have this great world building by the author. I wanted to know so much more about the universe of the book. The main character was intriguing as well. The first half of the book as really interesting. The second half morphed into a love story that seemed really quick and felt very heavy handed. Events like an alien invasion are sped through to dedicate more time to the love story of Rowan and Jeff. And personally, I just felt like the talents joining forces together to destroy massive alien bugs was more interesting than The Rowan and Jeff being all lovey-dovey with each other.

I also wasn't sure how we were supposed to dislike Siglen because she was difficult to her staff, but forgive The Rowan for being difficult with her staff. It's also very interesting that Siglen's plus size body and wanting to make sure The Rowan was never hungry is presented as part of her character/moral failings. Also, Jeff was very condescending. We're told we're supposed to find him charming, without him actually saying or doing anything charming.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rowan.

September 19, 2015 – Shelved