Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > Strange Bedfellows

Strange Bedfellows by Cardeno C.

*DNF at 62%... the audio was killing me.*

Cardeno C. and I have a very tumultuous relationship. We have super high highs (Perfect Imperfections) and super low lows (A Shot at Forgiveness) and, honestly, not that much in between. I either LOOOOVE CC's books or I hate them. This is much more the latter.

Sometimes with audiobook reviews I talk about the audio at the end of the review because it isn't the main factor in how I feel about a story. However, in this case I MUST talk about the narrator first. Ron Herczig was a bizarre narrator for me. I liked certain part of his performance, namely the tone of his voice. When he was reading Trevor, I enjoyed the deep, raspy quality of his tone. However, I really hated the squeaky, and at times barely audible, voice of Ford. It sounded like a mouse or something, and it was actually difficult for me to catch some of the words because of the changes in volume when he switched from Trevor to Ford.

However, the most annoying this about the narrator for me was the way he stressed certain words that I would never think to accent. It was like, "We went to the... park... to buy some... dinner." There were these pauses throughout that threw me off, and he put emphasis on odd words in his sentences that made the whole narration feel unnatural. It was exceedingly hard for me to concentrate on the story, and I was listening on a long car trip with no distractions. In fact, it was so annoying that I couldn't force myself to listen to the rest of the story on the way home, and I decided to just call it quits.

In terms of the story, I just found that it stretched my imagination too far. The characterizations just didn't make sense to me. I didn't buy Ford's quasi in denial about being gay thing, but then me meets Trevor and it was like, "Heeeyyyy, I love penis!" I didn't finish the story but I wasn't overly impressed with the plot from what I listened to.

A miss for me,

**Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Bedfellows.

September 19, 2015 – Started Reading
September 19, 2015 – Shelved
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audiobook
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-to-review-arc
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: review-for-author
September 19, 2015 –
40.0% "Not loving this audio."
September 20, 2015 – Shelved as: romance
September 20, 2015 – Shelved as: m-m
September 20, 2015 – Shelved as: did-not-finish
September 20, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
September 20, 2015 – Finished Reading
March 26, 2016 – Shelved as: narrator-so-so

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

BWT (Belen) Are you finding his voice to be really drawl-heavy and he draws out all his words? The sexy scenes were great, but otherwise? Wasn't great.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) BWT (Belen) wrote: "Are you finding his voice to be really drawl-heavy and he draws out all his words? The sexy scenes were great, but otherwise? Wasn't great."

I ended up HATING the narration. I just gave up at 60%. I found him really difficult to listen to.

message 3: by Dee Wy (new)

Dee Wy Thanks for taking a hit for the team. My relationship with this author is much the same - some dnfs for me too.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Dee Wy wrote: "Thanks for taking a hit for the team. My relationship with this author is much the same - some dnfs for me too."

I try! ;) But I always keep trying because when CC gets it right, she kills it!!

Jaime That narrator screwed it up. He is like that in every book I have listened to from him..I guess I just expect it now with him.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) JLoves2Read wrote: "That narrator screwed it up. He is like that in every book I have listened to from him..I guess I just expect it now with him."

He was really bad. I'm SOOO not a fan!

BWT (Belen) I agree about Herczig, it's like he took classes at the William Shatner school of narration. So bad. I won't buy another book narrated by him. Been burned twice now. Just not a fan. It's that way for me with Matthew Lloyd Davies too. Automatic "no".

message 8: by MishyJo (new)

MishyJo I am making a note about this narrator. I hate it when the narration ruins the book. I am also hit or miss with Cardeno C. and I've kinda given up.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) That happened to me with The Hunger Games. I know I would have disliked it anyway, but I hated it because of the narrator.