Kyleigh's Reviews > You

You by Charles Benoit

Jan 09, 2011

liked it

To be honest, I didn’t know what I was really in store for when I signed up to read You. Insightful teen stories isn’t usually what I look for in a good book. The excerpt doesn’t really give you a good indication of what the story is about other than it being the Life and Times of Kyle Chase. And really, that’s about all the story is. You, while it doesn’t sound all that thrilling and let’s be honest, it really wasn’t that gripping of an account, did have its good moments. You isn’t something you pick up if you want a thrilling, action packed, romantic filled story. If you are looking for something that gives you an honest and true account of a normal teenager and shoves uncomfortable truths down your throat, then You is definitely an excellent choice. As previously stated I normally don’t go for these type of stories. They’re usually not my thing, but I still enjoyed You. Though I contrasted greatly with Kyle (haha my names Kyleigh) I was still able to relate to him. There is teenage angst abound and I have to tend to agree with most of his observations on teachers, school, and life in general. I can project Kyle onto many guys I know. Guy’s who are intelligent but really couldn’t care less about doing homework or getting a job. There’s even a few girls I could relate to Kyle. While you can’t really peg Kyle as a good kid or a troublemaker, I think to the core he is an honest and sweet person. It’s a shame that his decisions ultimately lead him to a tragic end.

Something equally unique and annoying about You is that it is written in second person. It drove me nuts and yet I understood the reason behind it as well. Seriously though, at times it was like nails on a chalkboard for me. I hate reading in second person. Maybe it’s because for the last 7 years of my life my English teachers have beaten it into my head to never use second person while writing. Surprisingly I managed to get over it. No matter how much it drove me nuts. I realized that it makes perfect sense for the story. You is all about conveying the real account of just a normal kid. While reading I’ll admit that I realized some uncomfortable truths about myself and my motivation for doing certain things. That is really the most important realization for the reader when they read this story. The story truly speaks to the reader. Suddenly you are not yourself anymore. YOU are Kyle. This is YOUR story, YOUR life, and YOUR decisions. So in a way, suffering through the second person writing is worth it in the end. It completes the experience so to speak.
If you are looking for something that is refreshing and has a new spin on YA then I would definitely recommend You. It really surprised me, and in the end I was glad I signed up for it. And if you’re a grammar freak like I am, don’t worry. After about fifty pages you’ll get used to the second person narrative. :P

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You.