Jeff Glovsky's Reviews > Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion, and Film

Twee by Marc Spitz

Sep 19, 2015

it was ok

I'd been confused about this "movement" for some time - The sometimes lazy, often fearful, hyper-emotional misfits demanding the coddling of their helicoptered childhoods to continue well past sell-by dates, into their collective twenties and thirties.

A weird skinny lumberjack beard or two later, these (wo)men-children have been, somewhat insultingly, labeled "Twee". If the shoe fits... The problem is, it fits too well. Author Marc Spitz does not even bother to come up with a label as resounding as "Generation X". He simply takes the dictionary definition of the word 'twee' -- summed up by Google's "excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental" (I myself would add "precious", "cloying", "cutesy", "lame", "mawkish") -- and slaps it with a giant brush across several decades and generations.

Chapter after chapter of tedious name-checking does nothing to explain what happened to generations Y and beyond: Why so lazy occasionally, too often frightened, entitled and basking in "whimsy" and yesterdays?

Why the emotional need for escape, and "throwback"?

No answers here. Only octopus grasping, and far-reaching efforts to create a coherence -- a concise and actual "revolution" -- where, in my opinion, none truly exists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twee.

September 19, 2015 – Started Reading