Emmeline (The Book Herald)'s Reviews > Crystallum

Crystallum by Laney McMann

I kindly received a copy of this book from Booktrope Publishing via NG in return for an honest review

Laney McMann brings us another crazy cool story!

Rating- 3.5 - 4 stars

"Stay calm. Stay hidden. Don't lose your temper. Push the vibrations away. Control your emotions. Don't let anyone know what you can do. And don't expose what you are. Ever."

description

That Gif is just so perfect!

Let's hop straight into the plot

Kadence has a secret, a secret so monstrous and big that she can't live her life as a normal girl.
Her father keeps moving her around places, never staying long, reminding her that her temper could be her downfall.
Never tell anyone, never let anyone see who you truly are.
Control. control. control.
But the Devil's children are after her, wanting her to be something she hates.
The one night, one glorious night, she tackles the boy who could change her whole world,
but he wasn't made to be with her.
It's impossible,
It's crazy.
It's forbidden.
But...maybe she can be more than what she was made into.
Dare she trust to hope that she can be good in a world that believes her to be evil?

When i first encountered Laney McMann, it was when i read her 'Fireborn' series. I remember being thoroughly impressed, the lady can write a heck of an original plot and spine tingling- clean romance that will leave you with a goofy smile on your face. This one didn't disappoint!

I have a thing where i like to tell people straight up the Cons before i move on to the Pros, because i like to end on a good note.

SO here it goes- the thing that annoyed me was the aspect of a love triangle, i hate love triangles with the intensity of a thousand suns. HOWEVER, it doesn't drag on for too long, thank God. I was so afraid that this would be another twilight- bella, jacob and edward scenario but it wasn't, again thank god.

Next thing, while the world building is freaking fantastic and original, it came with a crap load of confusion. McMann kind of did an overload of info very early on.

She created an entirely different race, institution, world, etc... but with that, when it had to be explained, it went on and on forever. I get that it was necessary but a part of me balked at the amount of facts i had to digest on the Primori, Primavera, Nefarius, Alveare,Patriarche, Anamolia, Araneum etc...

That's the cons, lets move on to the pros!

That world- building! Hot dang McMann, how did you think this up? it's awesome! and very original and brilliant! Great work! I really liked the idea of this!

I will admit that I still have a lot of unanswered questions but I'm guessing that's to prolong the anticipation for book 2.

I really liked the characters too, my one thing is that Cole kind of came of as a try- hard early on, I kind of felt exasperated with him because i want to shake the arrogance out of him. But the boy grew on me, how can he not?
Also, he has a sexy name! seriously! Mr Cole Spires- that rolls off the tongue sooo nicely!

Kadence is a cool character, she's strong without being overtly so and understands when she needs help. Her pride doesn't make her act stupid and she's not scared of admitting her feelings or playing coy. Just that in my eyes deserves a medal, coy- characters and I don't mesh.

There was a cool Villain, this is going to be weird, but I hope McMann will make him creepier! He didn't seem evil enough! but I like the idea of who he was/ is.

"Ducunt Volentem, nolentem trahunt." The fates lead the willing, and drag the unwilling."

Looking forward to book 2!

Stay awesome my lovelies!

-The Book Herald
Check out my blog- The Book Herald Blog (Help the little people!)
tweet me @thebookherald

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crystallum.

September 19, 2015 – Started Reading
September 19, 2015 – Shelved
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
September 22, 2015 –
50.0% "Honestly i feel like if twilight and the mortal instrument series had a baby it would be this book. Its interesting and really well written but the amount of unanswered questions is driving me bananas! Plus love triangles are painful. I like it but its getting frustrating."
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: adventure
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: strong-female-character
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: suspense
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by ♛ Garima ♛ (new)

♛ Garima ♛ I started reading this but got side tracked with so much new world information and picked up Judgement of the Six series :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool villain? Like you wanna be friends with him? lol

Emmeline (The Book Herald) Kat Stark wrote: "Cool villain? Like you wanna be friends with him? lol"

Weeelllll i wouldn't say friend but have you read the cats eye chronicle by T.L Shreffler? In there the villains are brilliant and so creepy and hate-able that its a brilliant read! In this one he was just...too...friendly-ish i guess. Not diabolical enough for me to hate and desire the characters to eradicate his person from the world.

Garima wrote: "I started reading this but got side tracked with so much new world information and picked up Judgement of the Six series :)"

Judgement if the six is really cool! I read the first book and loved clay. This one is abit of an info overload, which means i also took a few breaks before finishing it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

ooooh yeah thanks for clearing that up. totally understandable

message 5: by ♛ Garima ♛ (new)

♛ Garima ♛ Emmeline (The Book Herald) wrote: "Kat Stark wrote: "Cool villain? Like you wanna be friends with him? lol"

I am really sucked into Judgement of the Six series right now but I am going to come back to this for sure! Thanks...