Shannon Thompson's Reviews > These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: favorite-series, great-ya

These Broken Stars? How about my broken heart?
This story of survival is fantastic—heartbreaking and thrilling. Right when I thought I knew what would happen, another unexpected spiral of events crashed into me. (Sometimes literally.) That is also why it’s so difficult to review this book without spoiling things, but I’ll try my best.
These Broken Stars is told in dual perspectives—by Lilac, the daughter of the richest man in universe, and Tarver, a poor solider turned war hero. The two find themselves on the same hyperspace ship . . . and then, it fatally crashes onto an uncharted terraform planet. Out of 50,000 people, they are also the only survivors. (With good reason, too.)
I found both the male and the female protagonist believable, likeable, and human in their faults, attitudes, and growth, but I mostly love how they slowly opened up to each other just as slowly as the characters themselves open up to the reader.
Between the discoveries of the two and the findings on the planet, this novel reads like an edge-of-your-seat space mystery, one that threatens to ruin any sort of reality Tarver and Lilac thought they had. The overall theme of “loss” was strewn throughout flawlessly, including loss of other characters, loss of their old lives, loss of the planet, loss of . . . Well, let’s just say they have a lot more to lose than that.
It’s also pretty romantic. And I like my romance.
But the strongest point, for me, was how unique the overall concept ended up being. (Eek. I just can’t spoil it here. Everyone deserves to read the big surprises like I did.) I’m definitely getting the sequel ASAP.
~SAT
Recommend to: Science fiction readers, fans of survival tales, stories lined with conspiracy and mystery, and lovers of fantastical suspense. Must be open-minded to the unusual and unexpected turns of world-building—literal world-building. Meaning, a new planet with striking possibilities kind of world-building.
Favorite Quote: “You could die tomorrow, you don’t think you should kiss her today?”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Broken Stars.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Amie Kaufman
“Dislike is much easier to handle than sympathy.”

Amie Kaufman
“I never knew it was possible to be so miserable in so many ways.”

Amie Kaufman
“...if you ever wanted to take a run at it, I'd say now's your time. There's hardly any competition, unless you count me. Though I am of course very handsome, even dead.”

Amie Kaufman
“You could die tomorrow, you don't think you should kiss her today?”

Amie Kaufman
“Forget everything else. Forget everyone else. You're exactly my kind of girl.”

Amie Kaufman
“Sometimes you take all my words away from me.”

September 18, 2015 – Started Reading