Suzanne's Reviews > The Maid

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

Jan 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: genre-historical-fiction, language-english, time-late-middle-ages, setting-france
Recommended for: people who liked "Blood Royal"/"The Queen's Lover" by Vanora Bennett
Read from May 07 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

3.5 stars for this nice debut.

A very interesting read about Joanne of Arc, which mostly comes across as well researched.
(Having been to both Chinon and Loches myself I was excited to read about these places, though the descriptions of them were not very detailed which left me wondering if the author ever visited.)

The chapters are really short, which some people object to, but which I always kinda like, as it makes the book seem like a box of candy.
I've noticed another thing some people object to is the story being a bit hard to follow if you have no previous knowledge of this part of French history. I would like to recommend to first read "Blood Royal"/"The Queen's Lover" by Vanora Bennett and do some Wikipedia browsing.
Another thing people object to is not being able to fully connect with Jehanne, and I fear I must admit to having that problem a bit myself. But I liked how at the end of the book, the chapters and Jehanne's thoughts seem to become a bit muddled. I thought this was a good way to show us how her power was gone and her doubts grew, and it made me connect more - Well done!
I'll most likely make sure to find this author's next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid.

05/10 page 47