Chris's Reviews > How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

F 50x66
Jan 09, 2011

bookshelves: boy-book, adventure, fantasy, humor

Best for older boys - lexile 990

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third isn't exactly your typical Viking. Being a hero doesn't come naturally to him, which is bad news, considering he's the heir to the tribe of Hairy Hooligans. Like the other boys in his tribe, he has to undergo an initiation, which consists of capturing and raising a dragon. Problem is, his dragon, Toothless (whose name sadly is completely accurate) is uncooperative, and if Hiccup fails to train him, which is looking increasingly possible, he'll be thrown out of the tribe! Just when Hiccup thinks he has enough problems (bribing Toothless doesn't work, and the guide on How to Train Your Dragon has proven to be completely useless) a gigantic sea-dragon starts menacing the tribe! Is this Hiccup's chance for glory? Or will he end up being just another tasty Viking supper? How to Train Your Dragon is absolutely hilarious! The story never fails to amuse and the illustrations only serve to make it better! I also got a kick out of the "learning to speak Dragonese" section, and now I will be able to order my own dragon to "Pishyou keendlee gobba oot mi freeundlee!" (Please would you be so kind as to spit my friend out?). This book is a terrific inspiration for those who want to learn to be a hero the hard way. And for those who just want a hilarious read, this book also delivers. I recommend it to all kids, dragon-trainers and Viking Heroes-in-training! 2003, Hodder Headline, A$14.95 Ages 8 up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Train Your Dragon.