Carrie's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

liked it

Juliette has been locked in an asylum for years after an accident when she was younger. During that time the world has changed and Juliette has no clue what the outside world is even like beyond the only walls she's known.

When they tell Juliette that she is getting a roommate based on her good behavior Juliette can't help but be suspicious. Why would they put anyone in with her when they know what she can do with just one touch? But when the new roommate turns out to be Adam, a boy that Juliette had a crush on from her past Juliette sees hope for the first time in years but soon finds The Reestablishment has plans for her and want to use her as a weapon.

I was a bit iffy starting off reading Shatter Me. The main character being locked away for so long is a bit manic with the writing style reflecting that and often having not only sentences but sometimes long bits being striked out to show her personality. I got used to this but will have to say that once the story gets going it becomes less often but could have done without it at all at a certain point in the story.

The world in this book did intrigue me though. I would have loved a lot more world building to show what had been going on while Juliette was locked away to make this dystopian society but there was enough in the book to make me curious as to where the rest of the series heads and will probably pick up the next book.

Overall, 3 stars. A decent start to this dystopian series that has me curious but not without a few flaws that didn't have me absolutely loving it yet.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

September 18, 2015 – Shelved