Kristina's Reviews > The Water Wars

1966353
Jan 09, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-debut-author
Read in January, 2011

The Water Wars takes place in a future where water is very, very limited. Many people get sick because of the fake water they are forced to drink. Real water is only available to the rich. The United States is split into territories who are at war with each other to gain control of what little water is available. The Earth is slowly dying because of the many abuses that it has suffered throughout the years from its inhabitants. Told in the perspective of 16 year old Vera, who, with her older brother Will, go across the country to find their friend, Kai. Kai has a special power that allows him to smell water, making him important and always in danger.

This book actually terrified me. Everyday we destroy our planet more and the future seen in this book, can very well be our future. This book raises an important issue. We need to be aware of what we are doing to our environment, and we need to protect Earth while we still can. I was still thinking about the story a few days after I finished it and started to become more aware of what I do. If every person who reads this book can do that, we might still have a chance.

Taking the terrifying part aside, I really enjoyed this book. Vera and Will met some interesting people along their journey, some became friends, like the pirates (I love pirates by the way!) and some tried to kill them. Actually, a lot of people tried to kill them. Once I started the book, I couldn't put it down until I knew everyone was going to be safe, which sadly wasn't always the case.

To read more of my reviews, go to my website: http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.

01/15/2011 page 120