Justin's Reviews > This is How You Die: Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death

This is How You Die by Ryan North

4932052

Another awesome collection of short stories! This is the "sequel" to Machine of Death (if you haven't heard of either I would check out that one first). Not only is it a really interesting concept to begin with (a machine that gives you a cryptic message about how, but not when, you will die), but this second volume really took the concept places I would never have dreamed on my own. While I wouldn't say it is necessarily superior to the first volume, I did feel like it really broadened the horizons of how this idea could blossom.

Another nice aspect is that, because it is a collection of short stories from different authors, if you find yourself reading a story you aren't fond of it will be over soon! Downside is that some of the ones you really enjoy you just want to keep going!

Overall, it is a great read and a stunning exploration of human creativity (and morbidity)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is How You Die.

September 16, 2015 – Started Reading