Jennifer's Reviews > The Diary

The Diary by Eileen Goudge

Jan 08, 2011

bookshelves: general-fiction

What a great book this was! It was a little slow for me to get into, but I think that was mainly because I had too much going on in my own life at the time. Once I gave it a chance and really got into it, it was really great. I kept wanting to find the time to sit down and read it and see how it turned out. The ending was phenominal. I kind of saw it coming a little bit, but it was just kind of a "wishful thinking" kind of thing and so when it actually happened, I was stunned. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was maybe a quick chapter told from Elizabeth's point of view at the very end over why she picked who she did, or what she felt when she did, or what the moment was like when she accepted the marriage proposal. But otherwise, I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the small town feel of everyone knowing everyone else's business. I enjoyed the time period when pre marital sex was more than just frowned upon. I enjoyed really delving into Elizabeth's life and getting to know about her. I really want to start this book over again now that I know the ending and re-read it with a different point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary.