Alexa's Reviews > Veil of Roses

Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald

it was ok
bookshelves: tbr-pile-2011-challenge, 666-challege-bookcrossing

Annoying, poorly written, erratic - the only reason I'm not giving this book one star is that I'm interested in books about Middle Eastern and East Asian expats in America. And I finally got it off my TBR pile (and will be donating it to my son's high school library, because it reads like YA Lit)(which is a bit of an unintended insult to a lot of YA Lit). So those are good things, I guess.

The protagonist is a young Iranian woman visiting her sister in America on a 90 day visa. The plan is that she find a Persian-american man to marry for a green card, in the hope that love will follow. Naturally the pickin's are slim in Tucson, and she develops strong feelings for her Starbucks barista.
Complications ensue and are affected in part by the multicultural goulash of friends she makes at her ESL class. Now this really bugged me. Did she know english or not? Because a week or two into her visit, she seems to know plenty of colloquial phrases, but when it seemed to serve the author, Tami would say something endearingly clueless in the English which had suddenly deserted her. Same with other things she either did or didn't know about (life in the US, sex, popular culture). The faux English as a Second Language stilted narrative style "I experience a shortness of breath the likes of which I have never felt before." "I tell them about the mistake I made in trying to pay for a free sample of tea. At this, they laughed very hard." just grew gratingly upon my nerves, at this, I was most annoyed.

At least the cover was pretty so I wasn't ashamed to read it in public. Unless someone saw me who had already read it, and thought 'why the hell are you finishing that crummy book'?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Roses.

January 8, 2011 – Shelved