Brooke -Brooke's Books's Reviews > Chasing Fireflies

Chasing Fireflies by Taylor Dean

I received an ebook in exchange for an honest review

My Review:
I have been reading The Power of the Matchmaker books each month. If you've been reading this blog, you have seen the reviews. I have liked each of the books, some more than others, and some I connect with more than others. This one I really connect with.

Within the first 2 chapters of this book, I get a pretty good feel of who Savannah Tate is. I don't know everything about her, I don't know all of her secrets, but I know her. Taylor Dean does an excellent job of introducing the reader to this character and creating interest in her and her life. I definitely want to know more. I want to know what the "Red Bird Incident" is. I want to know what happened to her engagement to Paul Ellis. And, as I read portions of Chapter 2, Taylor Dean writes words that describe how I sometimes feel about social situations. Wow! She totally gets the shy/introverted mind process, at least mine. She writes:

"Social situations sometimes exhaust me. Not that I don't enjoy them. I do. Absolutely. But afterwards I need space, time to regroup and recover from the effort. For some reason, social situations take a lot out of me and I can only handle them in small doses. But it doesn't mean I don't enjoy them or need them."
"I don't enjoy situations where I feel at a loss for words. Every once in a while, I find myself searching for words and not finding them. That's when things get awkward."
"I hate the disconnect between my brain and my tongue. It's an innate part of me that I can't seem to fight, no matter how hard I try. The words stick in my throat.."

From the very beginning of this book, I'm hooked. Again, I want to know more. I want to know Savannah's past, but I also want to know what happens to her. Does she find happiness? Does she find Paul?

The story follows Savannah to China where she teaches English. Savannah meets new friends, finds joy in teaching, and tries to push herself out of her comfort zone. There are successes and failures as she pushes herself, but that is what life is right? Savannah meets more than one Paul. I find her journey in finding "her Paul" interesting. I like seeing her look beyond her preconceived notions of what or who Paul is. We do find out what the "Red Bird Incident" is. And we do learn some of Savannah's other secrets.

The story is written with months written at the Chapter headings. This helps the reader understand the time frame as Taylor Dean writes many flashbacks. I like that she did it this way. Miss Pearl, The Matchmaker, shows up in the flashbacks. And, through her miraculous power, she also shows up in the present. Miss Pearl continues to amaze me with her compassion and insight. She does have The Power of the Matchmaker.

Warnings: None

I would let my 15 year old read this book.

Read full review here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Fireflies.

September 16, 2015 – Shelved