Antoinette Perez's Reviews > Sand Omnibus

Sand Omnibus by Hugh Howey

Hugh Howey's Wool was my favorite book last year. Fortunately, I also read Shift and Dust to finish the trilogy, both exercises in lowering my expectations. I'd say that Sand was almost on par with Shift and Dust. The world he's built in Sand is compelling. I can sometimes imagine myself there, diving in the sand, experiencing it like snow or water, thanks to his writing.

But holy mackerel, the characters. Too many IMO, and he's constantly shifting point of view (third person, so a little more bearable). Some characters are more fleshed out than others, but the youngest brother, Rob, only gets a chapter or two and he is maybe one of the most interesting characters. I sense Howey's desire to show respect to women in his female characters -- strong, resilient, often taken for granted -- but in the end they come across fairly two-dimensional, as manifestations of too many stereotypes, as literal victims... of circumstance, of society's expectations, of men...

Knowing what Howey can do with words from Wool, which was so precise it cut into me, I almost can't believe some of the trite filler in Sand. The dialogue! Oh my. Here's one particularly noteworthy example:

"Don't do this, [character name]. You don't have to do this..."

[A bunch of scene stuff, action]

"Oh, but I do."

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

But like a sucker, I'll be there, throwing my money at Hugh Howey's next novel, I'm sure of it. Hoping to recapture some of the magic in Wool.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand Omnibus.

September 12, 2015 – Started Reading
September 16, 2015 – Shelved
September 16, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Mcqueen I'm just on Shift, I'd stopped reading it for while because it was so unlike Wool, then I got into it. Interesting to have an idea what to expect...if I keep on going. Thx.

message 2: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Perez Mary wrote: "I'm just on Shift, I'd stopped reading it for while because it was so unlike Wool, then I got into it. Interesting to have an idea what to expect...if I keep on going. Thx."

Penley loved all 3 in the Wool trilogy. Another friend thought they were "good." I'm the only person I know who had such a letdown after Wool. So this might all be me. Louis tried reading Wool but it was too much for him. I actually think he might enjoy Sand more.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Mcqueen Yes, it's fascinating to see the progression.