Angel's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Jan 08, 2011

bookshelves: ya, favorites, own
Read in May, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.

Quotes Angel Liked

Rachel Cohn
“I've always resented Hermione, because I wanted to be her so badly and she never seemed to appreciate as much as I thought she should that she got be her. She got to live at Hogwarts and be friends with Harry and kiss Ron, which was supposed to happen to me.”

David Levithan
“You think fairy tales are only for girls? Here's a hint - ask yourself who wrote them. I assure you, it wasn't just the women. It's the great male fantasy - all it takes is one dance to know that she's the one. All it takes is the sound of her song from the tower, or a look at her sleeping face. And right away you know - this is the girl in your head, sleeping or dancing or singing in front of you. Yes, girls want their princes, but boys want their princesses just as much. And they don't want a very long courtships. They want to know immediately.”

David Levithan
“I was horribly bookish, to the point of coming right out and saying it, which I knew was not socially acceptable. I particularly loved the adjective bookish, which I found other people used about as often as ramrod or chum or teetotaler.”

David Levithan
“I was attempting to write the story of my life. It wasn't so much about plot. It was much more about character.”

David Levithan
“Luckily, I always travel with a book, just in case I have to wait on line for Santa, or some such inconvenience.”

David Levithan
“I mean, what if love isn't a yes-or-no question? It's not either you're in love or you're not. I mean, aren't there different levels? And maybe these things, like words and expectations and whatever, don't go on top of the love. Maybe it's like a map, and they all have their own place, and then when you see it from the sky - whoa.”

David Levithan
“But isn't this a dance? Isn't all of this a dance? Isn't that what we do with words? Isn't that what we do when we talk, when we spar, when we make plans or leave it to chance? Some of it's choreographed. Some of the steps have been done for ages. And the rest -- the rest is spontaneous. The rest has to be decided on the floor, in the moment, before the music ends.”

David Levithan
“All this hoping for something- or someone- that's maybe hopeless. I'm having a hard time processing what I am supposed to believe, or if I'm even supposed to. There is too much information, and I don't like a lot of it.”

David Levithan
“You want meaning? Well, the meanings are out there. We're just so damn good at reading them wrong.”

David Levithan
“Be careful what you're doing, because no one is ever who you want them to be.”

David Levithan
“The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's not getting over that.”

Rachel Cohn
“Well sure, who doesn't need a boyfriend? but realistically, those exotic creatures are hard to come by. At least a quality one.”

David Levithan
“Deep down, you see, I long to be arcane, esoteric. I would love to confound people with their own language.”

Rachel Cohn
“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour.”

Rachel Cohn
“We all just took the bookstore at its word, because if you couldn't trust a bookstore, what could you trust?”