Carrie speaking's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Jack London

bookshelves: travel-writing

I found my 1930s exemplary on the shelves of Pegasus Books, in Wellington, New Zealand, while travelling NZ in a van, during winter time.

When I read "Jack London", opened the book, saw the pronoun "I" used on every page and realized that this "I" actually referred to Jack, I was excited: I only knew JL through his "Call of the Wild" kind of books. I smiled and pressed the book hard on my chest. I was going to love it. And I did.

"The Road" documents the time JL spent on the road as a hobo, a tramp, "nailing" trains, shivering, starving, getting ditched from trains, getting locked up, man-handled; namely, travelling North America like so many of those forgotten, anonymous heroes. JL, at some point in the book, jokes about the sociological value of his writing. But this book - in my opinion - has a tremendous sociological value.

It documents a "right there, right then" that so few of us learn in school books. It documents that time, that space and their people from the inside, through an honest, fluid style.

I definitely recommend it. I learned a lot, laughed, sympathized and day-dreamed all the way through it.

Thanks Jack.

Carrie Speaking,
Travel Writer, Blogger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

September 16, 2015 – Shelved