Og Maciel's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

12048315
Sep 15, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: owned

Even though I have seen some of the old movie versions of some of Jane Austen's books, I have never actually read any of her books. I wanted to, believe me, and ever since I started building my personal book collection I made sure to get a nice edition of her novels for the one day I decided to read them.

This last September I finally gave Jane Austen a chance and started reading "Sense and Sensibility". The good thing was that I did not really remember anything from the old movies, so I walked in not really knowing what to expect, which was a good thing.

It took me a few chapters to get comfortable with the pace of the story and how all the characters behaved and reacted to the events happening around them. You have all these English families with their lands, costumes and etiquette, and all their dialogues are very proper and gentlemen/lady like, something that you don't see anymore, so you need to really take a step back to take it all in. For example, if someone is "politely rude" to someone in the story, they do so obeying a certain formality, if you will. And you don't see those who were at the receiving end of the affront flying off the handle either, unless they're perhaps from a lower social class and cannot keep their innermost feelings locked within themselves.

Once you acclimate yourself with the setting and the way people behaved back in the 1800s, then it is easy to follow along the two main characters, prudent Elinor and emotional Marianne, as they learn how to deal with changes to their social status, their first love and heartbreaks. Keeping in mind that this book was written in 1811, if you thought that women get the short end of the stick today when it comes to fair opportunities, treatment and respect, you may get a bit angry at what women's prospects were like back then. Their only ticket was to find a suitable marriage with someone who could afford their joint expenses (it doesn't look like upper class women were supposed to hold jobs) and, if they were lucky, someone who also loved them and were loved by them.

Through the character of Elinor, Marianne's older sister and the one with the most sense out of Dashwood sisters, we experience her strong morals and principles, strength and perseverance, and someone who can, despite all the harshness and pains that she encounters throughout the novel, keep a leveled head, put her own feelings in second plan, and act as a safe heaven and cornerstone for her family. Hard not to like a book with a strong female character :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

September 15, 2015 – Started Reading