Gemma's Reviews > The Horsemaster's Daughter

Jan 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in April, 2006

** spoiler alert ** I've enjoyed books by Susan Wiggs before (some have even made it onto my keeper shelf), but this one was one that I didn't even finish.

I liked Eliza, the heroine, immensely. Her ability to heal horses and connect with nature was a delight to read. Though she'd lived an extremely sheltered life, she never came across as stupid or immature. She was unique in a very intriguing way. It was easy to see why the hero would fall in love with her.

This wasn't the case with Hunter, the hero. He was quick to leap to conclusions, quick to get put out. At times, he came across as downright petulant. I also found him to be extremely self-centered. He lost his first wife by pretty much not giving a darn about her, and he didn't give a darn about his kids who were left motherless. And they might as well have been fatherless for all the time he spent with them. And he drank. A lot. All the time. I'd even go so far as to say he was an alcoholic, though not a violent one. Maybe this was dealt with later in the book, but I never got that far.

I couldn't really see why Eliza should fall in love with Hunter. I kind of felt that she was only attracted to him because he was the first man to spend lots of time with her since her father's death. As she'd lived pretty much isolated for her whole life, I felt like she only fell for Hunter because he happened to be around, not because of anything real.

Still, the romance was developing at a nice pace when the author suddenly had them start having sex. I felt cheated by this, as it was way too early in the book. They hardly knew each other, which made me feel kind of dirty. I couldn't muster up any desire to finish the book after that. I didn't like Hunter, and not liking the hero (or the heroine) is the kiss of death for a romance novel.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horsemaster's Daughter.

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I couldn't agree more. I'm ditching this half way through.

Marleen Your review is quite accurate. It's like you read my mind!