Silver James's Reviews > Devoted in Death

Devoted in Death by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: 2015-books-read, keeper, auto-buy-series, 2020-books-read, 2017-books-read, favorite-authors, reread, romance, scifi, suspense
Read 3 times. Last read October 15, 2020 to October 16, 2020.

Devoted in Death (In Death, #41) by J.D. Robb This isn't a favorite book but it's a barn-burner, as we Okies say. It's intense and the juxtaposition between the relationships--Eve and Roarke on the one hand, Ellie-Loo and Darryl's on the other--makes for interesting reading/listening. Refer to previous reviews for the rest.

2017: My first listen of the audiobook version. As always, Susan Erickson is one of my favorite narrators. She has these characters down perfect. This is the 41st book, along with many novellas, and the series is not only one of my favorites but one of the most consistent--a true testament to JD/Nora's talent. This is a hard book--bloody and violent, but Eve and crew come through and the ending with Trueheart and Baxter is the perfect end, leaving a happy taste instead of the bittersweet.

[Original review] I'm a huge fan of this series and of Nora's JD Robb persona. In a totally fangirl, non-stalkerish way of course. This is the only series I buy in BOTH hardback and digital (my preferred method of reading). While I've totally loved some of the In Death books (why yes, I have reread NAKED IN DEATH about 15 times, why do you ask?), others haven't worked quite as well for me. When I started this book--with the prologue in the villains' POVs, I was like...huh? And scratching my head. Then the scene shifted to Eve at the NYC crime scene and I fell right into the story. I didn't get to see as much of Eve and Roarke time, I missed Nadine's presence, and Feeney almost seemed an afterthought, and even though I knew Darryl and Ellie-Loo were sociopaths, reading the book was like watching a true crime documentary. Nora tried something new in this book and after initial brow-furrowing, I think she got it exactly right. I'm hoping we get to see more of Deputy Banner, and oh yeah, as an Okie? I was gigglesnorting over the Oklahoma settings, with Santiago and Carmichael on the ground there. Oh...and yes, the button made its expected appearance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devoted in Death.

September 15, 2015 – Started Reading