LMM's Reviews > Black Wings

did not like it
bookshelves: paranormal-pnr, overrated, couldnt-finish
Recommended to LMM by: Amazon
Recommended for: No one really

This book was just flat out boring & very shallow, IMO. I also couldn't stand Maddy, the MC & the secondary characters were two dimensional as well. It all felt a bit forced & the dialog robotic at times (esp. Gabriel).

I read a bit over 50% then fast forwarded a few chapters..skimmed & jumped straight to the end. Yeah...no big surprises & Maddy was still just as stupid (lipping off to Lucifer? Come on).

**SPOILERS**

I had a very big problem with Maddy's non-reaction to Patrick dying. I just couldn't get over the fact that the author left out that minor detail & from then on, it plagued me the entire time. With each passing chapter - the lack of care about it, just told me this book is not for me.

Just a few pages before Patrick died, Maddy was lamenting over her lack of frienships & relationships in life, then goes on to explain that Patrick though, is her best friend & felt very lucky for it. The next scene is her finding a soul sucking demon hovering over an already dead Patrick.

The day after, she makes a pact with herself to find out who stole his soul but that was about it. There was no crying, no angst, no clips of remembrances, no sadness over losing her one & only friend. Her "BEST" friend. It's like it didn't happen!

Instead she's lusting over her new tenant Gabriel. She's also continually getting beat up, put back together/healed by Gabriel & then whining about how often she is getting beat up. I found it all very, very simplistic & repetitive.

She is snarky & relatively dumb b'c she makes reckless choices that really shouldn't get her very far. Yet...Henry let's her get away with it all.

Also..she's a freaking virgin. For god's sakes just stop it already.

I also couldn't help but think Henry's, initial overall concept was ripped off from the ex-Showtime series Dead Like Me, which was much smarter in it's execution IMO.

So yeah...didn't like it. It was just...whatever. No great shakes. There are much better UF & PNR's to read. I would have skipped this one had I known.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.

January 8, 2011 – Started Reading
January 8, 2011 – Shelved
January 8, 2011 – Shelved as: paranormal-pnr
January 16, 2011 – Shelved as: overrated
January 16, 2011 – Shelved as: couldnt-finish
January 16, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Makefetch Your review just cracked me up. I felt the same way about this book. What a waste of precious reading time.

Incorrigible_bibliophile Completely agree with you that Maddy was shallow and the secondary characters were jokes. This could have been sooo much better.