Iyah's Reviews > Be With You

Be With You by Takuji Ichikawa

Jan 08, 2011

bookshelves: gives-you-epic-hangovers

"Soon I won't be with you any longer, but when the rainy season returns, I will come back to see how the two of you are getting along." -Mio

When Mio died, her husband Takkun and her son Yuji mourned her death and struggled to survive. Takkun is trying to be a father and a mother all at the same time for his son Yuji. For some other widowed fathers this might be an easy thing to do, but for him it's just not. A life without Mio is hardly life at all. But he had to do it for his son. For a year they've been trying to move on. The life they live is not a-okay, they just get by.

They tried to cope up with that bitter reality that Mio, the light and center of their world, won't come back.

Until that first day in the rainy season, Mio suddenly returned.

Surely there must be some rational explanation for this?

But there was none. She was there in front of them, back from the grave, like it's some normal occurrence.

The explanation about Mio's return is one of the many reasons that would keep you reading this book until the end.

Be With You is the third English translated Japanese book I've ever read. And just like the first two books, this is heart warming and thought provoking. It talks about family, love, life, death and the happiness one can get from the simplest things. Which is pretty common in Japanese novels.

Be with you has a sad and very deep plot, it's not the usual tragic love story. I like the way it showed that love takes time to grow, and that it needs stronger foundations to last. It talks about death, goodbyes and partings that made me want to grasp every single love ones I have, afraid that any moment they or I might not be here anymore.

I remember crying two times when I was reading this book. The first time was when Takkun was narrating how hard their life without Mio is. I felt sad for them. I don't know what it really feels like to lose a love one, but from the way Takkun described their situation and his emotions, I thoroughly get the idea. The second time I cried was during the ending. But I cannot tell you anything more without giving too much away.

Be with you is a very sentimental book, one that will render you emotional and nostalgic. This is the kind of book that I find myself reading 5, 10, even 20 years from now. When I was reading this I thought that it's great to read this book while it's raining, a blanket on your lap, the book in your hands and a hot choco within reach. Funny thing is, some other GR reviewer thought about it too.

Anyway, I recommend this to everyone. In fact this book was so good they had a manga, a movie and a t.v series adaptation of it.

Okay, so before I end this let me share just a few lines from the book that I really liked.

" If you know you're about to lose something, only then do you know what it is you really want."
-Takkun

"But...Life goes on. No matter how many meetings and partings we have to live through, no matter what faraway places we are sent of, life goes on."
- Nombre

And click to watch the movie trailer of Be With You.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be With You.

January 8, 2011 – Shelved
January 11, 2011 – Started Reading
January 11, 2011 –
page 50
16.67% "It started like every other Jap Novel's I've ever read."
January 12, 2011 –
page 200
January 12, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2011 – Shelved as: gives-you-epic-hangovers

message 1: by Iyah (last edited Jan 14, 2011 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iyah thanks for the like!! ^^, you really should read this guys. I bought it at booksale, check the BS branch near you if they have one too. ^^,