Maura's Reviews > His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

Jan 29, 2008

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, kids-books, fiction, fantasy-or-sci-fi

I cannot say enough good things about this trilogy. I decided to read The Golden Compass because I thought it was a kids’ book, and I needed something light. I still haven’t quite figured out if this series was written for adults or kids, or both, but it doesn’t matter because I think anyone would love the main characters (a 12-year-old girl and boy), and the story is enthralling no matter how old you are. It is more captivating and imaginative than the Chronicles of Narnia, yet, unlike the Lord of the Rings and similar fantasy sagas, it doesn’t feel repetitive and circular by the middle of the second book (sorry, Tolkien fans). This trilogy has all the components of a typical fantasy series—inter-world warfare, evil villains, talking animals, and plenty of magic—yet the story is completely original. Pullman seamlessly weaves together a wide variety of characters and storylines without it getting overwhelming, and his characters are very lovable despite their personal flaws. At the same time, the series deserves its title of “Dark Materials” because some parts are truly frightening, and his villains are perverse and menacing. There is an anti-Church undercurrent throughout, but I felt it added to the plot without dominating it. Over all, I couldn’t put these books down until I had finished the whole trilogy—so make sure you have some time on your hands before you pick them up! I don’t know anyone else who’s read these books, and I would love to hear other peoples’ thoughts on them.

The movie was very underwhelming, but I don't even know if it'd be possible to capture these great books in a 2-hr film
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials.