Nora's Reviews > Venetia

Venetia by Georgette Heyer

F 50x66
Jan 07, 2011

I admit I had never heard of Georgette Heyer till a few years ago when I noticed there was a reading group specifically focusing on her novels. I Googled her and decided I wasn't interested enough to try and find the books and discipline myself to join the group read. Then a couple of years ago Richard Armitage read an abridged version of 'Sylvester' on audio book, so of course, I had to have it. I enjoyed it enough to buy the next Georgette Heyer book he read which was 'Venetia' which I enjoyed so much I decided to buy the unabridged book.

The reason I found this book so enjoyeable was all down to the characters. Venteia is 25, unmarried and living with her brother Aubrey. Neither have traveled far from their home, Underwood, in Yorkshire. Their elder brother Conway is away fighting Napoleon, leaving Venetia in charge of the estate. The estate is bordered by the Priory, belonging to Lord Damarel. Damarel is the area's prodigal son, a rake who ran off with a married woman when he was in his early twenties and just carried on a downwards spiral of morality.

When Venetia and Damarel meet it's instant attraction, but instead of declaring undying love immediately, we get to see their friendship develop with plenty of flirtation. Their "idyll" is threatened by the appearance of two women that leads to the revelation of family skeletons.

The two main protagonists are vividly written and the supporting characters, especially Aubrey and Edward Yardley (Venetia's other suitor) are equally life-like.

A very enjoyable read, especially if you like your hero and heroine to feel more like equals in a relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venetia.