Amy's Reviews > Midnight Angel

Midnight Angel by Lisa Kleypas

liked it

Cooped up in bed, this was the perfect thing for me to read. That being said, it was far from a perfect book.

I'm a fan of Lisa Kleypas, most of the time. I think she's easily one of the best contemporary HR authors; she has a gift of taking a very specific and limiting time period and somehow putting a fresh spin on each and every novel. Midnight Angel's spin? Russia. There had to have been a hefty amount of research involved in the creation of this story. It's impressive -- not only did she need to understand the nuances of English society, she had to balance it out with Russian politics, peasant/stewart/prince relationships, a breakdown on imperialism, and just general custom. Not many authors would be willing to tackle that in a romance novel and even fewer would manage to incorporate it all with decent writing. So, brava, Mrs. Kleypas.

That being said, this is not one of my favorite novels. Compared to most of the romance I've read recently, this probably deserves at least four stars, but having read her other novels, I know she can do a better job. As laudable as it was to include the chapters set in Russia, they weren't truly that interesting. I had no investment in the sudden influx of new characters and I didn't much care about Tasia's Mysterious Murder Escapades because honestly, how could you ever be fooled into thinking she actually killed someone? It was obvious from the start that she was utterly incapable of violence, so instead of feeling sympathetic every time Tasia jumped on the I'm a Terrible Person train and fretted, I had to roll my eyes. Luke also felt a bit flat to me, although his Man Angst was well fleshed out. Maybe it had something to do with his proclaimed loyalty to his dead wife -- promising his mistress that he'd never want to marry anyone yet hopping into bed with Tasia's 18 year old body ten pages later. I get that this is a romance novel and near-instantaneous love is pretty much a given, but the flip from his coldness to "I absolutely cannot live without you; you are the light of my newfound life!" was jarring. It felt hollow. Tasia really hadn't done much to incite such a reaction, in my opinion, but perhaps I'm just being nitpicky.

I'd recommend other Kleypas books over this one, for sure. Midnight Angel tried so, so hard, but it mildly let me down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Angel.

Started Reading