Angelica's Reviews > Blue Angel

F 50x66
Jan 07, 2011

liked it
Read from January 07 to 10, 2011

While this book is well-written and intriguing, I find myself hating every single character- most of all the protagonist, Ted Swenson. How someone can be that completely moronic and self-indulgent is beyond me. The only one I remotely feel sorry for is his wife, Sherrie- but alas, Francine Prose develops practically everyone else but her, so I can't say I can identify (though I obviously sympathize).

Other than that, though, I'm not too sure. It was an engrossing read, for sure, but I feel as though Prose indirectly attacks writing methods she herself employs. I mean, a student writing a novel about having a crush on her teacher and then having her professor review the work? Not to mention the people in class- the typically jock-like ex-Marine, the "homegirl," the preppy white girl, the rebel... it all seems so contrived. Nonetheless, it's a good read... just nothing really groundbreaking in my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Angel.

01/07/2011 page 18
01/09/2011 page 138
44.0% "Swenson is an unlikable bastard, IMO... but I'm so intrigued I don't even care."
01/10/2011 page 230
73.0% "Oh my God, this protagonist is the most self-indulgent, pseudo-moralistic, selfish ASSHOLE I've ever read. What a horrible character."
show 4 hidden updates…