Ariana's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jan 07, 2011

bookshelves: death-and-dying, great-books, aussie-and-nz, beloved, rereading-material, best-of, arc-galley-or-author, signed, movie-to-be, standalone, by-color-yellow
Read 2 times. Last read May 5, 2013.

It took me 113 days to write a full review.. I counted.

Reading one of Marchetta’s stories should be one of the “10 things to do in your lifetime”. Seriously, this woman is one of the most creative people alive, one of the most amazing writers I came across and I wish I could put into words the awesomeness of this book, but I feel at a loss for words once more.

In fact, I should invent a new language with a dictionary full of ways to praise her talent.

Because Melina Marchetta doesn’t only write books, she creates entire worlds full of fleshed-out characters and shattering emotions, and after you read about them you feel like you’re the luckiest person in the known Universe and beyond. Because not many people in this world are able to feel what she makes you feel, and not many authors get to create such strong connections between the characters and the reader.

I feel like her stories have a soul. Like her characters are living beings trappend into a fantasy world, waiting for us to come and listen to their stories. They seem to breathe through our emotions, and I don’t remember a moment when I didn’t feel something (deep) towards this story and these wonderful characters.

Her words sing to me, they reach into the deep core of my own soul, they make me laugh through tears, they break my heart into thousand pieces but they also put it back in together, making it beat in a whole new rhythm, making it love and ache on a different level.

Once again, the complexity of the plot left me lightheaded, in awe, even though I knew what was coming my way. It’s been a while since the last time I read this book and I felt it all all over again: the confusion, the despair, the hope, the heartbreak, the happiness. My teary eyes could barely read and I was left breathless too many times to count. I loved EVERYTHING about this book, after all this time it is still my favorite story and I really hope that when (and if) you read this book you will be able to feel just a tiny-tiny part off all these blissful emotions flowing through my heart right now.

THE STORY:

How much heartbreak can a heart take?

Jellicoe road is a roller coaster, a story meant to break hearts – one about true friendship and love, about forgiveness and salvation, about hope and disappointment, about life and death and everything in between.
It simply left me in awe again because there is no tiny detail, there is nothing less important in this story. Everything has value, all words have power – to make you laugh or cry, to dream and hope.. and the real beauty of it is connecting all the threads in this fabulous piece of art.

But as heartbreaking and intense as it might be, it is also fun, and I found myself smiling more than once. So don’t go thinking that this is a depressing book, it is not; it has the perfect balance between joy and sadness, between delight and heartbreak – but don’t believe me, see it for yourself!

THE CHARACTERS:

I can’t put into words how much compassion I felt towards the characters in this story. I don’t think there’s one that didn’t leave an impression on me. Some times they made me laugh (even through tears), some other I just wanted to hold them close to my heart and protect them from all the hurt in their lives.

CONCLUSION:

Every time I read “On the Jellicoe Road” it simply takes my breath away.
I fall in love with this book all over again, it hits me full strength no matter how well I think I know the story, it makes me smile and cry and sometimes both in the same time, all while I get drunk on the beauty of Marchetta’s words. Pure talent, pure Aussie awesomeness!

The full review can be found at: ReadingAfterMidnight.com

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Favourite quote (one of the many):

PS: And now allow me to express my joy:

PSS: Is this Jonah coming to life? :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Melina Marchetta
“What do you want from me?" he asks.
What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him.
More.”
Melina Marchetta, Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta
“Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?”

Melina Marchetta
“I'm very disturbed to find out that the leader of the Townies has a soul and I'm beginning to develop a bit of a crush on him.”

Melina Marchetta
“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.”

Melina Marchetta
“When I turn around, he cups my face in his hands and he kisses me so deeply that I don't know who is breathing for who, but his mouth and tongue taste like warm honey. I don't know how long it lasts, but when I let go of him, I miss it already.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.”

Melina Marchetta
“Hold my hand because I might disappear.”

Melina Marchetta
“What's with what you're wearing?" Griggs asks while we stand outside waiting for the others.
"It's pretty hideous, isn't it?" I say.
"Don't force me to look at it," he says. "It's see-through."

That kills conversation for a couple of seconds.”

Melina Marchetta
Never,' he tells me in a tone full of ice, 'underestimate who or what I care for.”

Melina Marchetta
“Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.”

Melina Marchetta
“I don't want to let go, because tonight I'm not looking for anything more than being part of him. Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.”

Melina Marchetta
“Girls under the age of fourteen are the most frightening creatures I have ever come across.”

Melina Marchetta
“No," I say, looking up at Griggs. "It's actually because my heart belongs to someone else." And if I could bottle the look on his face, I'd keep it by my bedside for the rest of my life.”

Melina Marchetta
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.”

Melina Marchetta
“Go to hell," he said, but there was a desolate fear in his eyes and I couldn't look away.
"Been there. Trust me. It's so overrated.”

Melina Marchetta
“See, I remember love. That's what people don't understand.”

Melina Marchetta
“No chance. It'd be like cutting off our hands."
"Then learn to live without your hands."
"No, because then we won't be able to do this," Ben says, giving him the finger [...]”

Melina Marchetta
“There will be no 'one day,'" I yell. "Because holidays are over, Griggs, and you and I are never going to cross paths again. Not in the next ten days. Not ever! Have a fantastic life.
[...]
"Be careful what you wish for," he says with quiet menace, "because I'm about this close to telling you to get the fuck out of my life."
I stare at him.
"What do you want from me?" he asks.
What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him.
More.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's called peaceful coexistence, Santangelo. You should try it and if it works we may sell the idea to the Israelis and Palestinians”

Melina Marchetta
“When he wins the bet, I tell Griggs that it will take me a lifetime to save up two trillion dollars and he tells me that he's only giving me seventy years.”

Melina Marchetta
“Teresa, Teresa. Have we taught you nothing?" Raffy says in an irritated voice. "It's war. You go in and you hunt him down until he realises that he's made a mistake.”

Melina Marchetta
“And life goes on, which seems kind of strange and cruel when you're watching someone die.”

Melina Marchetta
“Great to know that I'm in love with a girl with a cool name."
"It's Taylor's middle name,”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you think I don't want him to be gone more than you do? I do. Because I need to know that I can still breathe properly when he's not around. If something happens to him, I have to know that I won't fall apart...”

Melina Marchetta
“But grief makes a monster out of us sometimes . . . and sometimes you say and do things to the people you love that you can't forgive yourself for.”

Melina Marchetta
“And life goes on, which seems kind of strange and cruel when you're watching someone die. But there's a joy and an abundance of everything, like information and laughter and summer weather and so many stories.”

Melina Marchetta
“So why would I want someone to be my everything when one day they might not be around?”

Melina Marchetta
“If something happened to me, whose face will be on the front page of the paper begging for me? Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?”

Melina Marchetta
“I think back to my dream of the boy, because in it I find solace. I like that word. I'm going to make it my word of the year. There is just something about that boy that makes me feel like I belong. Belong. Long to be. Weird word, but semantics aside, it is up there with solace.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

January 6, 2011 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
January 7, 2011 – Shelved
January 7, 2011 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
January 21, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: death-and-dying (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: great-books (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: death-and-dying
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: great-books
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: sweet-romance (Kindle Edition)
August 10, 2011 – Shelved as: aussie-and-nz (Kindle Edition)
August 10, 2011 – Shelved as: aussie-and-nz
December 19, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved (Kindle Edition)
December 19, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rereading-material (Kindle Edition)
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rereading-material
Started Reading
May 5, 2013 – Finished Reading
May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of
May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of (Kindle Edition)
May 9, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-galley-or-author
May 9, 2014 – Shelved as: signed
November 2, 2014 – Shelved as: movie-to-be
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone (Kindle Edition)
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-yellow
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-green (Kindle Edition)
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-red (Kindle Edition)

Maggie Jonah! ♥ I love that you have the Australian edition too. :)

Ariana Oh, I love both Jonah and the beautiful cover from this edition ♥
I am reading this book again and I think that I enjoy it a bit more each time ;)

Kristalia wonderful review Ari :D
Oh Melina is sure talented <3
i have to read it soon :D

Ariana I hope you do, and I hope that you will love it as well!
Thanks ;)

Kristalia :D

Stephanie You are the cutest, Ariana, for counting the days it's taken you to write the review. <3

Sasha B I just recently read this! Beautiful review, Ariana! I truly loved it and totally agreed with it! (: Loved this book!

Ariana Thanks girls ;))
It's usually hard to talk about Marchetta's books - she writtes so beautifully, how can one put into few words all the amazing this author really is, right?

message 9: by Nia (Kantorka) (new)

Nia (Kantorka) Awesome review. I definitely have to read it too. Soon!

message 10: by Ariana (last edited Aug 29, 2013 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana Thanks, Nia, also for the add.
This book is truly wonderful - like all the other books written by Marchetta. I definitely recommend "Finnikin of the Rock", so have fun with that book and the others in the series (I loved that series to pieces as well).

And when you get to read Jellicoe, I would love to hear your opinion on it ;)

message 11: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia This is one of the best written reviews ever, Ariana. You captured the books essence so well!

Ariana Lia wrote: "This is one of the best written reviews ever, Ariana. You captured the books essence so well!"

Oh, thank you so much, Lia. This is the book I love the most and I wanted to let the whole world know just how special this story is.

message 13: by Nia (Kantorka) (new)

Nia (Kantorka) Thanks Ariana for your review which inspired me to read Jellicoe Road myself. It was absolutely gorgeous and the best in 2013 so far. But I think the review will be a struggle. Of course I try:).

Ariana Nia (Kantorka) wrote: "Thanks Ariana for your review which inspired me to read Jellicoe Road myself. It was absolutely gorgeous and the best in 2013 so far. But I think the review will be a struggle. Of course I try:)."

I know the feeling ^_^
Happy to hear you liked it, i love this book so much!

Mariam This review is perfect!!! I didn't even know how to put my feelings of this book into words, but you somehow managed to do that! I love Jonah but Jude is who stole my heart:)

Ariana This is my all time favourite book, I always get back to it and I love it to pieces (I even drive everyone crazy recommending it to no end). I am so happy to find other people that feel the same ;)

FragrantFlower I love your review,Ariana! You have a gift of writing! : )

Ariana FragrantFlower wrote: "I love your review,Ariana! You have a gift of writing! : )"

Thank you so much, dear! ^_^