Mignon Mykel's Reviews > Her Unexpected Detour

Her Unexpected Detour by Kyra Jacobs

19898638

bookshelves: contemporary

4.5 / 5 stars

Received a copy of the title in exchange for an honest review.

Brent is crabby, grouchy, and a negative Nelly -- you can't help but want to hate him. But he had his own version of sarcasm and while at times it was rude sarcasm, there were moments of light in there... especially when his sarcasm was met by the sarcasm of the bright spot in his day.

Well, as bright of a spot as a second-chance run in with a woman he'd met earlier could be -- first run in? At the diner, where he dirtied her blouse. Second run in? When she slip-slides her vehicle into the fence he just re-repaired earlier that week.

Add a cousin who is Brent's opposite, and a loving grandmother who wants to see her boys paired off...

I truly enjoyed this story. I loved Kayla and her will to make a better life for herself. She hasn't had the best few days and now with her car needing repair in a town that's not her own, staying in an inn that, while adorable, has a handy man with a deep scowl... she just wants to get back home.

I found myself liking Brent more and more. His opinion of women is what it is due to his past, and truly the only close woman in his life is his grandmother, Ruby. His crass attitude had me seeing red at times, but the few smiles he gave Kayla were making ME happy, as they were Kayla, and I wasn't the recipient!

Brent will always be a bit more rough around the edges, but Kayla could prove to be the softness he needs to dull his edges.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Unexpected Detour.

Started Reading