Laya White's Reviews > Black Hills

Black Hills by Nora Roberts

Jan 07, 2011

liked it

** spoiler alert ** Nora Roberts romance novels are pretty straightforward. ou know the Big Bad won't win. You know the primary couple will end up together. The "how" and "why" vary, but the "what" never does.

What makes her books satisfying is that she has a gift for making every character and situation live and breathe. There are definitely archetypes - the caring nature lover, the enlightened homemaker, the smart 'n sassy woman with a heart. And yet, every one feels a little different, and very real. It all works, and you come away from the book feeling satisfied.

I think in this one, the secondary romance was a little shoehorned in because the main characters didn't end up married before the end. However, I still enjoyed it - I felt like it added a little old-fashioned romance novel magic, since it was clear the main pair wasn't really cut out that way.

So I'll always be a little embarrassed to pull one of these out of my bag on the bus (it’s so typical!), but I'll keep reading them and enjoying them anyway. Screw what anyoen thinks. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.

January 7, 2011 – Started Reading
January 7, 2011 – Shelved
January 8, 2011 –
page 77
17.54% "It's so predictable, and yet I'm still moved by some of it."
January 9, 2011 –
page 195
January 11, 2011 –
page 260
January 12, 2011 –
page 347
79.04% "Even though I'm sure I know how it's going to end, I'm interested to see exactly how it gets accomplished."
January 12, 2011 –