J.'s Reviews > Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Go Bump in the Night

Jan 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-once-owned
Read in March, 2012

I have a deep love for these old short story collections. Short stories written between the '30s and the early '70s just have something that modern short stories so often don't. (I think it's usually a plotline, but I say that jokingly since I like modern short stories, too.) Anyway, this is a solid collection. Only a couple of the stories are bad. Almost all are enjoyable, but few of them are really great. The best among them are:

"Muldoon and the Numbers Game" by Robert L. Fish, with it's ever-hopeful numerological outlook. As a mathematician, I found this one hilarious. Also, I always enjoy a short story with a punchline.

"Something for the Dark" by Edward Hoch, a monster story, or is it?

"The Gentleman Caller" by Veronica Parker Jones, with a batty narrator who describes things correctly enough for us to see what's going on, but who can't see it herself.

"No Such Thing as a Vampire" by Richard Matheson, a monster story, or is it?

"The Other Celia" by Theodore Sturgeon, is definitely the strangest story in the book. It's exactly like a Twilight Zone episode, but one of the ones with no moral.

"An Evening in Whitechapel" by Nancy Swoboda, is a super-short with a cool twist which, unfortunately, it telegraphs. But it's still short enough so that it doesn't seem wasted.

Anyway, if this is the sort of thing you like, you'll like this one. It's certainly better than some of the other "Alfred Hitchcock Presents..." books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alfred Hitchcock Presents.