Joy's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Jan 06, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, ya
Read from November 13 to 14, 2011

I was in heaven reading this book. I love me some Percy Jackson! I am not ashamed to admit it either. I am a grown woman, and I love Riordan's books. I have always had a fascination with mythology, didn't matter what kind, Greek, Roman, Norse, I loved to read about them all as a child and teen. When I found Riordan's Percy Jackson and The Olympians series as a teen librarian, I was in heaven...heaven. Especially, because it has a strong male lead which I use to hook teen guys into reading! Love it!

The Son of Neptune is the second book in the Heroes of Olympus series, (or as I call it when I can't remember that, Percy Jackson, Part 2) which takes place after The Lost Hero. In this book we are back with Percy Jackson and his mad adventures in mythology land. At the beginning of the novel Percy does not remember anything or anybody except the name Annabeth. He has found himself in California, doesn't know how, doesn't know why. Slowly, as the novel progresses things come back to him, but that's not the important thing about this novel. What or who is important are Hazel and Frank. Two new demigod sidekicks are introduced in The Son of Neptune. Hazel is the daughter of Pluto, and Frank doesn't quite know who his godly parent is yet.

Percy, Hazel, Frank, and the Roman camp for halfbloods have so much to deal with in this book and little time to do it in. You think it would be overwhelming, but then again, they are demigods, right? So, with above average strength, luck you wish you could bottle and sell, and a little help along the way, Percy, Hazel, and Frank are charged with a quest to unchain Death. Yep, you read that right. Unchain Death. Oh, Death is in Alaska. And, they only have a few days to get it done, and get back to California, or the whole world is going to end as they know it...just a typical day in Percy's world, really. :)

The Son on Neptune was a great addition to the series, and it just kept me wanting more. I can't wait for The Mark of Athena in the Fall of 2012. I need to know what happens next!

First reviewed at: http://www.pageturnersblog.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.