AstroDime Authority's Reviews > How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu

40542031

i loved this. It was incredibly high concept. What is there not to like about someone who fixes time travel machines? and accidently witnesses ..well spoiler alert. Let me just say, this is a read over some day.

But here's another thing. This book is also about melancholia and masculinity. Our un-hero is a straight man in his 30's who is hiding from the universe in in his time travel fix it ship. His only companions are a smelly virtual dog and his AI girlfriend. And that's how he'd like it to be. But ironically in being in the time travel business, he inevitably reflects on his life. So ok, the subtext here is aging and masculinity and melancholia, but also a resonant beauty. Ultimately I came out feeling like the universe was beautiful but paradoxical. But that's just my bias.

One criticism: the links aren't that great. an attempt at hypertext fiction that just doesn't work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe.

Quotes AstroDime Liked

Charles Yu
“Ed is just this weird ontological entity that produces unconditional slobbery loyal affection.”
Charles Yu, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

Charles Yu
“The key question of time travel,” my father says, “is this: How do we know what it means to perceive an event as presently occurring, rather than as a memory of a past event? How can we tell present from past? And how do we move the infinitesimal window”
Charles Yu, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe