Sammy's Reviews > Chasing Smoke

Jan 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: m-m
Read from January 02 to 06, 2011

After reading four other books by K.A. Mitchell, I felt extremely excited to read this novel. I had absolutely loved her Florida series and Hot Ticket: A Serving Love Story was probably my favorite short story I've read in a while. I don't feel like my expectations were meet for this book though.
Fist off I'll start by saying I felt every character I read about deserved to be slapped, with the exception of the children briefly mentioned in the beginning. They were all full of them selves and worried about mainly themselves. They weren't true to anyone else and the main characters hardly ever seemed to think about what the other would actually do or how they would respond. Their so certain of things that we as a reader know are wrong. They all have their problems, and rightfully so. But the problems are over simplified and over exaggerated.
Second, The word choices. At times I felt like the phrasing of a sentence was just wrong or that what a character was saying was awkward. Some parts seemed lacking of emotion or action when they were needed and others needed to calm down a bit.
Third, The 'case'. As much as I loved the idea, I hated it at the same time. Between all their emotions it got covered and wasn't as big a part of the novel as it needed to be. After spending so much time looking over one piece of evidence, the rest of the investigation felt extremely rushed.
Besides that there was the length. This book was just simply too long and drawn out for what I felt I got out of it.

This book wasn't all horrible though. The characters are emotional and there's some good tension going on between them springing from deep routed issues from each of their pasts. Mitchell is great at writing their intimate moments, though I do feel some from her other book would easily surpass.

One last thing, I felt kind of disappointed that handcuffs were not used inappropriately at any point in this novel. There was the set up and hint that it was going to be there, but never actually happens. I would have loved to read how Mitchell would portray a scene like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Smoke.