Angie Lisle's Reviews > To the Far Blue Mountains

To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour

liked it

The continued story of Barnabas Sackett, the grand-sire of The Sackett legacy, leaving his home in England behind to build a new home in the western frontier, what will become the American colonies.

The first book, Sackett's Land, has a plot propelled by action; To The Far Blue Mountains is choppier, with L'Amour using brief summaries to skim great gaps of time. I enjoy how L'Amour works in tiny details about history - like that seafarers had long been coming to America - so I felt slightly cheated with the skimming of Barnabas' life and would have liked more details about starting a new life in America. The first book introduced me to the character; but the second book felt like I was reading a time-line of events instead of getting the full story. This second half of Barnabas' life lacked the emotional punch-in-the-guts that I expected at the end of the book.

L'Amour never intended to write literary wonders but told stories reminiscent of campfire tales or oral folklore. Sometimes outrageous and requiring suspended disbelief, this is a foray into pure imagination of bygone times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Far Blue Mountains.

Quotes Angie Liked

Louis L'Amour
“[Barnabas speaks] "I will drink water."

"Water? But water is not fit for men to drink. For the cattle, for birds and beast, but a man needs ale . . . or wine, if you are a Frenchman." [William answers]”
Louis L'Amour, To the Far Blue Mountains