Julie's Reviews > Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield

Jan 06, 2011

bookshelves: rob-sheffield, music, nonfiction

I was a big fan of Rob Sheffield's last book, Love Is a Mixtape, so I was excited when I received this one as a Christmas gift. I really enjoyed it. Sheffield has an easy, conversational style that makes reading his work like talking about music to your best friend.

This book is charming, funny, and occasionally sad as Sheffield details the songs and experiences that defined his teenage years and early twenties during the 1980's. He appears to have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of music and pop culture, and, as a fellow pop culture geek, I could appreciate that.

My favorite parts of the book involved Sheffield's loud, tight-knit Irish-Catholic family, especially his sisters Ann, Tracey, and Caroline. They were awesome. So was Sheffield's elderly grandfather, who he lived with briefly after college. The chapter about his grandfather appears late in the book, and it's extremely touching and well-written.

There's a little bit of gender stereotyping that bugged me only slightly; it's along the lines of "girls generally like this kind of music and boys don't," so it wasn't that big a deal. But it was still enough to cause me to make a face as I read. (I do that sometimes.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking to Girls About Duran Duran.

January 6, 2011 – Started Reading