Denae's Reviews > The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

bookshelves: favorites, recommended-by-a-friend, read-multiple-times, re-read-potential, re-read-in-2011, read-in-2011, challenge-1010-by-2020, nook
Read 3 times. Last read November 24, 2011 to November 25, 2011.

Incredible. Parts of "How to Tell a True War Story" come to mind regularly. I love Tim O'Brien's writing. Those were the three things I had to say about The Things They Carried when I initially "reviewed" this book. I hold to all of those. This is my third reading and I found the book even better than it was eleven years ago. "How to Tell a True War Story" has probably influenced my views on writing and literature more than anything else I have ever read. There is a beautiful clarity and painful honesty that permeates this book. I can't say enough good things about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things They Carried.

Quotes Denae Liked

Tim O'Brien
“A true war story is never moral. It does not instruct, nor encourage virtue, nor suggest models of proper human behavior, nor restrain men from doing the things men have always done. If a story seems moral, do not believe it. If at the end of a war story you feel uplifted, or if you feel that some small bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, then you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie. There is no rectitude whatsoever. There is no virtue. As a first rule of thumb, therefore, you can tell a true war story by its absolute and uncompromising allegiance to obscenity and evil.”
Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried